Dhobi Ghat

Prakash Pathe Marg, Mumbai, India

Dhobi Ghat Mumbai Reviews

Vipin Vipin
People watching experience! Feb 10, 2013
If you want to see a stereotype of India, then perhaps this is the place to do it. It’s very well-known for being the open-air laundry area for many of Mumbai’s dirty clothes. Although it seems like a chaotic place, it is obvious that every day, huge piles of dirty laundry and being cleaned here and redelivered to their owners. How they do it is extraordinary and mind boggling. Though you can people-watch from a distance, I doubt that you can venture inside. However, there are charities/tour companies that can arrange this kind of service I think. When Bill Clinton visited India, even he stopped to take a peak at these people at work. I would take his suggestion and go take a look too!
Vipin says:
Thanks for the comments guys. Next time, I might ask them how it's done so I can become a better organizer!
Posted on: Feb 12, 2013
cneoridium says:
Wow, laundry on such a huge scale! I'd love to see how the whole thing is organized, how the clothes get back to their original owners with so many!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Very interesting!!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2013
Liselore_Verschuren Liselore…
A colourful labyrinth Oct 04, 2008
A dhobi is a traditional Indian laundryman, who will collect your dirty linen, wash it and return it neatly pressed on your doorstep.

The Dhobi Ghat is a huge open-air Laundromat consisting of row upon row of concrete wash basins, all with a flogging stone. Around 200 dhobi families work together here, relentlessly pounding the dirt from the cities garments as they did hundreds of years ago in exactly the same way.

It’s quite a sight to see all these people doing their primitive work, dozens of men next to each other washing the garments in the basin they are standing in and throwing it against the flogging stone. Thousands of pieces of clothing are hung out to dry all over the place, which makes the whole area look like a colourful labyrinth.

We got there on our own account, we were soon spotted by one of the dhobis, who sort of started showing us around. We gave him a small tip, even though it probably wasn’t necessary.

Related Travel Blogs About Dhobi Ghat

McDonalds, Tom Cruise, the Laundromat and the taxi driver
Both Rens and I slept quite well on the train, we don’t feel the need to take a nap when we check into our hotel. Therefore, we just unpack a bit, have breakfast at the hotel and head out to ex…Mumbai, the Dhobi Ghat. A dhobi is a traditional Indian laundryman, who will collect your dirty linen, wash it and return…
First taste of Intensely India
I had 2 days left before my Chinese visa expires. I booked a Ticket from Shanghai-Mumbai. New Delhi back to Shanghai.  Armed with a 2nd hand Lonely planet. I boarded Air India to experience my …Mumbai is the Mahalaxmi Dhoby Ghat. A place where Indians do their laundry. It was something new seeing how Indians…
Mumbai
We were very tired after our flight so were glad to see our pick up driver waiting to take us to Bentleys Hotel in Colaba, Mumbai.  The hotel was in a good location although slightly pricey. Th…Mumbai we also visited Chowpatty Beach, Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat (Asia's largest outdoor laundry), navigated the Western Railway and watched…

Check Mumbai Hotel Deals