Mumbai, India

Dharavi Mumbai Reviews

sarahjayne87 sarahjay…
Reality Tours and Travel - better than visiting the Taj Mahal Jan 17, 2014
Me and my boyfriend went on the long slum tour. I am from England and he is originally from Mumbai but now living in Australia. He really did not want to go on this tour but i begged him and even he had fun.

This trip was amazing, interesting, strange, beautiful, fun, sad, wacky all in one go.

The best part is that the money from the tour goes back into the community.

The people living in the slums are actually lovely friendly happy people.

and of course the best bit, our tour guide, Daya, he was very informative, funny and all round a great guide.

I also didn't get hassled by sellers or beggars at all which is very rare in Mumbai and the tour guides also didnt push for a tip at all. At the end of the tour you fill in a feedback survey and then you are welcome to put in a tip if you like, no pressure. I just hope the tip does go to my guide, which im told it will, so hopefully :)

I will 100% be recommending this to my friends.

Also I love the kitty in the end reception area, Daya said i can take her haha, tempting to come back for her haha

Visited January 2014
sky69 says:
Very well written... I can understand that emotional feelings one can have after visiting slums like Dharavi..., may God will take care all of them in Dharavi...
Posted on: Jan 18, 2014
lee_escott lee_esco…
Dharavi Tour Apr 03, 2011
"tour" of Dharavi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi), said to be one of the largest slums in Asia. The morality of the tour aside (the company who ran them was an NGO started by and English guy with 80% of the profits going to the charity) it was one of the most fascinating thing I've done - ever. We saw both commercial and residential areas of the slum and how it was to live there, but also how great it was. Whole families were crammed up in rooms which fork off dark alleys as the buildings are so close together sunlight is blocked. Many of these families have been offered 1 bedroom apartments in tower blocks but choose to remain in the slum (where kitchen, living room, dining room and bedroom are the same place) because of the sense off community living in a slum provides. I got more smiles, waves and handshakes walking round Dharavi than I ever have in a day in England.

Check Mumbai Hotel Deals