Gangtey, Bhutan

Dewachen Hotel Gangtey Reviews

Vikram Vikram
For all its shtick about being the best hotel in town, there's a lot to be desired! Dec 02, 2016
I do my best to give hotels the benefit of the doubt sometimes, even when I've potentially not had the best experience chalking it down to a one-off, and don't come across as too critical (check my other reviews for proof!). That said, this has to be the least positive experience we had in Bhutan (not to say this was bad, given that we stayed mostly in 3 and 4 star hotels).

For one thing, the rooms have no intercom (I won't complain about not having a TV), and some rooms are in a building quite a walk away from the reception. This would mean having to fight through the cold and dark and walk all the way to the reception for the smallest of things.

The beds are good enough. Not the most comfy but bearable. The bathroom is COLLLDDDD though! Please carry your clothes, towel, everything and hang by the shower door. You'd freeze just walking from the shower to the hanger!

The hotel area could do with some more light. Our room was at the end of a corridor, our neighbour being darkness. At times, especially after dinner, it felt a little odd walking back to our room.

The catering is abysmal. During dinner, they ran out of dessert (banana custard) and the waiters lazily replaced it with slices of unripened banana (on top of the little morsels of custard that remained). Likewise, during breakfast, we had to ask for our tea to be served 3-4 times before it saw the light of day - and this in a fairly empty house!

All in all, not the best of places. I wouldn't say "don't stay" because you don't really have a lot of hotels to choose from. That said, don't expect anything remotely 3 star here!
The beautiful front facade of the …
Brilliant views of Phobjikha Valley
Entrance to the hotel, not the mos…
The hotel
hauteboy hauteboy
Great place in Phojibkha Valley Dec 27, 2009
The Dewachen hotel is the best tourist hotel in the Phojibkha Valley, Bhutan. The Phojibkha Valley is a glacial valley in central Bhutan, home to the black necked cranes. The hotel was traditional Bhutanese style with elaborately carved and painted roof beams. Electricity is only available a few hours per day. There is a wood stove in each room, we made good use of it as it was freezing when we were there! Definitely bundle up if you are here in the winter. There is a good restaurant at the hotel with windows overlooking the valley, they made toast and tea on their wood burning stove.
Dewachen Hotel
Wood burning stove in our room
Making toast