Deutsches Historisches Museum

Deutsches Historisches Museum - Statues outside the museum

Deutsches Historisches Museum Berlin Reviews

slothtraveller slothtra…
German History Museum Feb 21, 2017
This museum concerning German history is a comprehensive collection and took me quite a while to walk around- I would designate at least a couple of hours to visiting this place, although I'm sure you could stay there for a day and not see everything. The museum is housed in the Zeughaus, a royal arsenal dating from 1706.

German history is chronicled in this museum from medieval times up to the present day with particular emphasis on the Thirty Years War, Napoleonic Wars and the two World Wars. I visited the museum not long after it opened and it was quite busy at first but nowhere near as busy as it got later in the day. Therefore I'd recommend visiting quite early or over lunch to avoid crowds.

Walking around the museum, I found the staff rather creepy. There were lots of them and they were watching people, including myself, very intently. I don't understand why they feel the need to do this, especially as photography was permitted.

I was very interested in the exhibits on the Napoleonic era and Thirty Years War as this is a part of German history that I am quite ignorant of. There are some great exhibits to see including Napoleon's hat and sword, left in his carriage at the Battle of Waterloo. A temporary exhibition about the GDR, called 'Fokus DDR' was also worth visiting.

The museum is open daily from 10am-6pm and admission is 8 Euros.

Directions: At the eastern end of Unter den Linden, near Museum Island.
Statues outside the museum
Napoleon's Hat
A Trabant
Exhibit at German Historical Museum
slothtraveller says:
Yes, I could have spent a lot longer here. :)
Posted on: Feb 22, 2017
DAO says:
I love this place. So many amazing planes/jets!
Posted on: Feb 21, 2017