Der Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord

0203/421281

Der Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord Reviews

niphredil niphredil
Sep 09, 2006
Of all the places to gather my first impression of Germany I ended up flying into Duisburg where my boyfriend lives (a good reason I think!). The entire area, the ruhrgebiet, was largely an industrial area. Thus in the second world war it was an important area and, therefore, bombed. Many of the towns were more or less destroyed and as a result there isn't a lot of 'typical' German architecture. Lots of it is modern, and as far as I know there's only one guidebook dedicated to the area, written by a Brit who married and lives there now :)But having said all that, I really enjoyed my time there! My bf and I biked around town, and went through Die Sechs-Seen-Platte, a massive park with six large lakes scattered about. The walking/bike paths were all wooded and cool, and it seemed like you were in the middle of nowhere in some ancient forest.One of the best bits about Duisburg was the Landschaftspark, or Landscape Park. It's a huge complex of obsolete buildings, towers, and machines I won't even begin to try and explain. Back in the day a lot of the industrial remnants were being demolished, but there was a movement to preserve the area's heritage. It would also be a tribute to all the miners and workers who made the area so prosperous and vital to Germany as well.So they've left this huge 'park' open to the public. At night it's most spectacular, and different towers and bits of machinery have been illuminated with different colored lights. Don't think Disneyland, though- it can actually be quite spooky. There are heaps of stairways and ladders and walkways you can explore on your own, but besides the aforementioned lights there's no lighting whatsoever so you need a flashlight.For me it was an 'exceptional' experience because it was so unusual. It had its own unique beauty, and I was really chuffed that they left the whole thing so open. There were lots of photographers I noticed around, probably because the silhouetted structures and various colored lights were so darn interesting :)

Check Duisburg Hotel Deals