2300 Steele St, Denver, CO, USA
(303) 376-4888

Denver Zoo Reviews

huddleston huddlest…
The Denver Zoo Apr 01, 2010
I have been going to the Denver Zoo for 25 years now. I have been for school field trips, birthday parties, holiday lights, and yearly family visits. It never gets old. Over the years, the zoo has undergone some major cosmetic surgery and become a contender in the top ten zoos around the US.

The Denver Zoo is located just outside of downtown Denver, within City Park directly next to the Museum of Nature and Science.

Since my days as a youngster, the zoo has been nearly transformed. The entire entrance has been redesigned, and there are some fantastic animal sculptures by the ticket booths. Predator Ridge is the first attraction you will see when you walk in. This exhibit is new, and it houses the African Lions and the Dragons. The primate area is also relatively new. The primate exhibits are amazing! The orangutan and gorilla areas are mesmerizing. I sat nose to nose with a silver back gorilla, for nearly 20 minutes one afternoon.

One of the other exciting exhibits is Tropical Discovery, which is the amphibian, reptile, and fish house. This area is an indoor rain forest! The animal exhibits in the Tropical Discovery are interesting and really informative. There are some crazy animals in that building. My favorites are the capybara, the mud-skippers, crocodiles, giant sea fish, and the anaconda!

These new exhibits are part of the Denver Zoo's master plan, which is a 15-20 year plan to improve the lives of the animals, enhance the educational resources at the zoo, and to become a world class conservation center. Currently under construction is a new exhibit called The Asian Tropics. These facilities will house the tigers, Asian elephants, some of the Asian primates, the tapirs, and others.

The zoo is a great place to take a picnic. There are plenty of areas to enjoy some lunch in the grass. One of my favorite things about the zoo growing up are the free roaming peacocks that stroll about the zoo. During mating season the male peacocks spread their tail feathers, which is really a sight to be seen. I always found the peacocks to be fascinating when I was a child. (Well I guess I still find them fascinating!)

On top of the great animal exhibits, there are plenty of feedings, demonstrations, and special shows going on everyday. Plus there is a fun little train that kids just melt over. The train takes you on a short track around the western part of the zoo. Oh, and a little insider's knowledge for ya; it is imperative to have your photo taken by the bronze statue of the hippos. That is a must! I have a a 25 year collage of myself in front of the hippos. (One year old, two years old, three years old...)

The zoo hosts special events throughout the year, such as "Boo at the Zoo," which are huge draws during non peak times of the year. The best special event is "Zoo Lights" that happens during the holidays. From early December to mid January, the zoo puts up thousands of lights and animated light sculptures. There are over 38 acres of illuminated brilliance. Most of the animals are put away for the night (except for some of the indoors exhibits such as the pachyderms), but there are carolers, fresh roasted chestnuts, and Santa!! Plus thousands of lights to look at! It is a lot of fun. Other events such as "Wild Ice" and fundraisers are frequent and can be great fun!

I find parking to be a hassle, but its worth the walk. The Denver Zoo is a blast!
Primate exhibit at the Denver Zoo
Nemo at the Denver Zoo
Beautiful birds at the Denver Zoo
Tropical Discovery @ The Denver Zoo

Related Travel Blogs About Denver Zoo

Denver Zoo
www.denverzoo.org I got up at 6:00am this morning and packed up my luggage and ate some breakfast in the lobby. I hit the interstate by 7:00am heading for Denver Zoo. The zoo opens at 9:00am that g…Denver Zoo. The zoo opens at 9:00am that gave me two hours to get there. I'm glad…
Denver Zoo
One of the greatest parts about living in Denver is its availablity of free entertainment. Most of the museums and even the Denver Zoo have one free day a month. I just happened to grab a flyer from …zoo puts on Denver Zoo Lights where the entire zoo is decked out in hundreds of thousands of Christmas…
Colorado
its our sixth day in breck. its been such a great trip so far. but let me tell ya, the first day and a half was a little bit scary. being so high up in elevation both my gf and i were experiencing mi…denver zoo and denver aquarium. and today is my bday so we are going to a spa to get massages…

Check Denver Hotel Deals