Denver International Youth Hostel

Denver International Youth Hostel Rates and Deals

Denver International Youth Hostel Reviews

andrejav andrejav
It should not be called International, Youth or Hostel Oct 03, 2012
Driving from Arizona to Denver become a night adventure without designated hotel or hostel, so I called a friend to help me find good hostel in Denver. She found couple places with Denver International Youth hostel coming up with low price, location and a “pool” that they have. I called the phone number provided and luckily someone answered the call at 11pm. Older gentlemen assured me that they have room for me and that he will wait for me to get there, task which I completed in record time (it was raining cats and dogs in unfamiliar city, without any map).

I parked the car on the parking lot on the side of the hostel (they have their own parking, but it is full of cars that are falling apart) and stumbled into the hostel building. Building looks very nice from outside, brown brick three floor house that has lots of potential to be really special. First opinion was that place is very dark and kind of dirty, and that opinion got fortified when I looked around a bit more.

It looked like most of the “private rooms” are occupied with longer term tenants and only few “dorms” are available for travelers. I was in the “newly renovated dorm” that was probably redone sometimes in ‘80s, and had spacious kitchen with two rooms. First room had nasty smell that I could not locate. Luckily I had option of the smaller room with adjacent restroom, which was perfectly fine. Fresh sheets and towels were provided, but no blankets, which made me look around for bed bugs or other buggers that could be moving around with other travelers. After I found my bed safe and sound I simply jumped in with all my clothes anticipating colder Colorado night.

In the morning I went around the hostel to find the place to sit a bit and check my mail, but only common area was outside on the back of the building. It was still raining in the morning and whole area was totally wet and dripping, effectively killing every desire to hang around. Few people that I met in the hostel were guys down on luck and hanging in the cheep place till they find some job around.

Price for the dorm (place where I was had 10 beds in two rooms) is $19 which is pretty cheep for US.

There is no breakfast available, and WiFi can be used only on the first and maybe second floor. Metal lockers made sure that my stuff is pretty secure, but they were not located in the room. Bathroom was pretty fine and kitchen had all things necessary for making your food. They do not have pool. Hostel is located in very center of the city with many restaurants, bars and places of interest in range of few blocks. Area around hostel is fairly safe and well lighten.

Really strange place. Definitely not a hostel that you want to stay in, actually it is not a hostel at all. This is some kind of long stay cheep hotel, and I cant recommend it to any traveler. There are couple other options in Denver, and I suggest the 11th Avenue Hostel.
This note on the door gives a bit …
back balcony
super dark hallways
sukiyakihotsake sukiyaki…
Jul 15, 2007
My friend and I had stopped by here back in July 2005. I had planned to stay at least 2 nights, but ended up staying only one. The place isn't in the best part of town, but we knew that going in (my buddy made the mistake of bumming a cig to a burnout in the nearby park and was instantly mobbed by 4 more with one even offering him a shiney dime for a smoke).

You ever seen the movie Sling Blade with Billy Bob Thornton? Remember how his character would say "mmm hmmm" in a creepy kinda way after every sentence? The front desk clerk did exactly the same thing! I didn't know whether to burst out laughing or be scared he was going to bludgeon me while sleeping.

The fully booked dorm room my friend and I stayed in housed at least 4 people, perminently; they're belongings laid out on the floor around their bunk along with coat racks filled with shirts, pants, and socks. They seemed like nice people though. One had been kicked out by his wife 3 months earlier and was always drunk, but he had an ear for funk music, so I let him borrow one of my funk CD's for a day. When I came back it was coated with dried soda and unplayable. That was fine, it was a burned copy, but have some respect for others property!

This small "family" of perminent tenents obviously didn't clean their bathroom, as the shower floor was completly black with mildew and dirt. I guess the operators of the hostel didn't bother to check on the rooms. The back of the building was lined with catwalks and fire escapes and was the place to hang out and scope out drug deals in the back alley.

You gotta keep in mind that it was only 10 dollars a night though. So I guess I got what I paid for; a bed to pass out in after going out to a jazz bar, a shower (however nasty it was), and a cheap stay. At least it gave me a few good storys to tell my friends back home.

Check Denver International Youth Hostel Rates and Deals