Den Gyldene Freden

Den Gyldene Freden - French toast

Den Gyldene Freden Stockholm Reviews

EmyG EmyG
Den Gyldene Freden May 10, 2016
I haven't planned to go here but as my legs hurt badly because of tiny, sharp-edged stones scattered over the pavement everywhere in Stockholm, and since I wasn't in the best mood to search for other restaurant I walked in. The meal in this restaurant turned out to be my favorite in Sweden.

Den Gyldene Freden is a historical restaurant with an old fashioned and romantic atmosphere with candles. It is the oldest restaurants in Sweden dating back to 1700's and you just cant miss the opportunity to eat were so many others over the years and centuries have eaten. It is the best place to eat in Gamla Stan I presume. The atmosphere inside the restaurant is cozy, stately but a little dark, almost gothic.

I ordered Swedish meat balls as a main dish as I wanted to try local Swedish cuisine. Is there anything more Swedish than meat balls? They came nicely presented, with gravy, delishous mashed potatoes, lingonberry and pickled cucumber. As a starter we got freshly baked bread with butter and salt and herbs. Very basic but very good.

Desserts weren’t the best. Very small and overpriced. I would not order again.

Staff was very nice and not pushy at all and there were lots of locals eating there when we arrived which is always a sign of a good restaurant.

However, since it is Sweden and Stockholm, the food is fairly pricey! The restaurant was very expensive when compared to nearby restaurants but the food was well worth it. Well, worth trying it at least once!
French toast
Swedish meatballs
Ice cream
bread :D
Ils1976 says:
looks like an awesome place and dessert wise ... you can always find something else in Stockholm, I am sure of it! ;D
Posted on: May 15, 2016
mainhart mainhart
Historic and delicious Aug 31, 2015
Up until this point, I really had not dined at a real restaurant in Scandinavia. I'm not a fan of dining alone. Moreover Denmark was great with on the run food. In Stockholm I made friends with a solo Bristih tourist so now I had a dining partner. He recommended this restaurant. It is the oldest one in Sweden, from 1722. The restaurant oozes old world charm as many in New England ones do. The restaurant was cozy with many authentic decorations. The food was traditional Swedish cuisine. We both ordered lamb sausage which was huge and tasty, the meat was very rich, but not gamey. The service was not very good, but we were too busy eating to really notice. It was a nice return to vacation dining.

Check Stockholm Hotel Deals