Delorme Map Store

2 DeLorme Drive, Yarmouth, ME, USA

Delorme Map Store Yarmouth Reviews

vances vances
DeLorme Map Store Mar 23, 2008
A great stop as you head north from Portland along I-295 is to take exit 17 at Yarmouth and visit the DeLorme map store. If you haven’t heard, DeLorme is a long time purveyor of maps – for years they were known for their splendid Maine Atlas & Gazetteer, a booklet dividing the state into detailed maps and appended with a treasure trove of interesting places to visit. DeLorme changed with the times and added software duplicating their hard copy wares and expanded coverage across the globe.

The headquarters in Yarmouth reinforces this tack with ‘Eartha’. Eartha remains the world’s largest revolving/rotating globe per the Guinness Book of World Records since it’s unveiling in 1998. For fellow TravBuddies, Eartha should prove an exceptional delight. Tilted just like the Earth at 23.5 degrees, Eartha spins in glory. The globe is an amazing 41-1/2 feet in diameter; meaning California is an astonishing 3.5 feet tall! What impressed me most was realizing how big Indonesia is – I never realized how much land this chain covered (this was from my recent visit – I must have been fairly clueless during my initial time there back in 1999).

Beyond Eartha, the site also houses the Map Store, where you can purchase a Gazetteer for virtually any state in the US (we stopped here specifically to score Gazetteers for our new home state of North Carolina) and many other fascinating tidbits – from GPS devices to guide books and maps around the world. My sole complaint is that they seem resistant to my suggestion for a globe puzzle (which I would like to market as an “Eartha Kitt”).

Will add that the there is a fantastic Maine State Travel Information Bureau just across the street from DeLorme, so if this is your initial venture to Maine, checking out at exit 17 off of I-295 holds several benefits (you can also follow Route 1 North to Freeport from this exit). But regardless, the DeLorme Map Store should be Mecca for any true TravBuddy.
This is the view of Eartha from th…
Your first glimpse of Eartha from …
Eric & Kim & Eartha
vances says:
But Gene, they don't call them 'Eartha Kits'...which would insure global success.

Also, here's how to embed that link -->
[url=] Sphere Earth [/url]
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008
genetravelling says:
i think your idea's been taken:
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008
cneoridium says:
I've heard of that thing! (I think from a DeLorme gps unit package...) It's a lot bigger than what I was imagining!!
Posted on: Mar 26, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Delorme Map Store

There and back
My mom was going to drive down to Portland later in the day to pick up my aunt who was visiting for the long weekend.   I know what some people are thinkig right now long weekend it's Patri…Yarmouth the DeLorme map store wich is home to Eartha the worlds largest rotating globe no kidding!  California id like…

Check Yarmouth Hotel Deals