Delaware Hotel Leadville

Delaware Hotel Leadville Rates and Deals

Delaware Hotel Leadville Reviews

prism_lace prism_la…
Jul 26, 2007
The Delaware Hotel is a vintage victorian inn on Harrison Ave (or Main Street, as I call it, and confuse everyone). It was the first time I had been to Leadville, and I was there for my teaching interview 3 years ago. It is a gorgeous building, and I love to go into it on the lobby floor to look at its antiques and stuffed heads (which are actually quite creepy, but I didn't know what an elk looked like until I ventured to the lobby).

The lobby floor is the best part, I believe. There is an original bar that has working hours. Although, when I was there (and whenever I return to view the lobby) the bar was/is never open. So, if you're hoping for a beer or two, you may want to have Delaware Hotel as your plan B (or C). Also on the lobby floor are fantastic antiques that are for sale. I assume that those people who found them useless in their own homes, took them (or sold them) to Delaware Hotel. They, in turn, refurnished them and sell them to the public. Some pieces are truly surreal, and prompt your imagination to recall how residents operated back in the 19th century. Others pieces are quite nostalgic for me, as my grandparents had them in their homes when I was younger.

The other facet of the lobby floor are the stuffed animal heads. If you are like me, and are unaware of local wildlife and their descriptions, this is the perfect place to come. Of course, now I am well aware of an elk, buffalo and moose, and bear. If you appreciate a good inferior feel between yourself and a mounted animal head, then head over to the lobby. I, on the other hand, felt awkward and watched.

Their victorian rooms are beautiful, and you are immediately taken back to the 19th century! The beds have quilted, victorian designs, and the decor is authentic. The Vicorian Era is my favorite time in history (only for architecture and history; for women, it was a sad time of complete submission to the patriarch), and I was locked in awe as I looked around my room.

Speaking of my room, the cost of one is NOT cheap. If you have a family with you, I strongly suggest you hole-up in Leadville's more frugal hotels, and only come visit the Delaware. But if you are with a significant other, I highly reccomend you stay as a couple, and enjoy the journey back through time.

Overall, my stay was very nice. I wouldn't say exceptional, but the hotel is a very beautiful building with lots of history. I must warn you that if you are newly in the town, you should take to the stairs lightly. There is no elevator, and High Altitude Sickness will creep up on you if you are not careful. Take the steps (and I know this sounds limiting) one at a time; DO NOT run up them.

Have fun! And enjoy your victorian stay! :)

Delaware Hotel Leadville Overview

The Delaware hotels 40 antique and Victirian furnished rooms, in downtown Leadville, feature: high speed internet, private baths, cable TV and breakfast bar. The hotel gift shop features antiques, expansive jewelry selection. Victorian/western clothing, Leadville souvenirs and Tees and much more. Many rooms feature views of Mt. Massive, Mt. Elbert, Arkanas valley and the Continental Divide.

Delaware Hotel Amenities