Deepa World

Spring Valley P.O, Kerala, India - +91 4869 222567

Deepa World Kerala Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Spice and Ayurveda Plantation Jan 21, 2009
We stopped here on the way through Thekaddy from the Backwaters on the way to Munnar. It is quite an interesting place to learn about spices and their uses for health remedies. The word Ayurdeva comes from the sanskrit (ayus meaning longevity and veda meaning knowledge). There is something to learn here in touring this place and I found it quite interesting. For instance, I learned that Nutmeg is actually the seed of a tree, and Cinnamon is obtained from the inner bark of a tree. Maybe it's common knowledge, but I never really thought about where some spices come from until I visited this place.

The grounds of this place are quite large, and a guided tour is given as part of the admission price. I lagged behind at the beginning and missed the early part of the tour, but I found the rest of it quite fascinating. There is a Tree House on the grounds that is part of the tour and visitors can climb the steps to have a view of the spice plantation from up above in the tree tops. It's not a difficult climb up and is worth the view. There is a lot to see along the way and the tour ends near the spice shop where there is a plethora of spices to purchase for very reasonable prices, some that would be considered quite exotic and expensive elsewhere. I am not an expert on spices so I can't really be an authority here, but the selection certainly was impressive. There is freedom to walk around the grounds further and explore the plantation if desired and no pressure to exit after visiting the spice shop.

One aspect I enjoyed particularly was the small signs in the spice gardens that expressed some respect for nature (I include some photos of these) that were very whimsical. This added to the pleasant experience of touring this place. I can recommend this as a very enjoyable and interesting garden to visit should you find yourself in the vicinity. For the quality of the tour, pleasant surroundings and insight into the world of spices, Deepa World is definitely worth a stop.
Deepa World Sign
Majestic Trees
Peaceful Ways
Tree House (looking up)

Compare Kovalam Hotel Rates (4.5km away)

Deepa World Map