DeBolt Hotel

Alberta Ave, DeBolt, Canada

DeBolt Hotel Reviews

planxty planxty
It's like no place else. Mar 17, 2017
When TB member Ravenswing aka Lynne and I rolled into DeBolt in our aged campervan (RV) I was on the lookout for a pub which is situation normal although, frankly, I was not hopeful. It looked like a pretty small place to me and I have since found out that this impression was correct as the village boasts a population of a mere 133. It was, therefore, a very happy planxty that spotted the sign for the DeBolt Hotel. Happy days so we pulled into the parking space at the front. Even if this had been full I don't think parking in the village is ever going to be an issue.

Up the steps (definite accessibility issues here unfortunately) and into the very cosy bar you can see pictured here. Because of the way we travel which is "Walmart camping i.e. parking up in the carpark of that supermarket at night, we stay in larger towns and usually on the outskirts which leads to a constant diet of identikit sports lounges.

Don't get me wrong, they are great and I discovered some beauties but they can become a bit monotonous. I do like a proper pub which was exactly what the DeBolt appeared to be. What did surprise me slightly was that there were actually a few people in there. If this sounds like an odd comment allow me to explain. I have noted in other reviews on a number of places that I have been into large sports lounges at all hours of the day and been the only customer and even more where the clientele has numbered less than a handful, it baffles me.

Up to the bar and spoke to the friendly server to get my bottle of beer and something non-alcoholic for Lynne. As is quite normal in these parts there is no draught beer, only bottles but I was used to it by then. Settled in I had a bit of a look round and it was, as I say, very cosy with all sorts of bits and pieces scattered about. There were a few stuffed deer heads on the wall, a waggon wheel propped up in the corner and a large wooden sign on the wall bearing the legend that gives rise to the title of this. Indeed, I would say it is just about right. There was also a sign behind the bar which I found rather amusing but I could not possibly publish the photograph here as it has a bit of an 18+ rating.

If the sign in the window is to be believed, the DeBolt also serves as the local hairdressers although where that takes place I don't know, there must be a salon out the back or something.

Inevitably we were engaged in conversation by the friendly locals and were made to feel at home right away. As I have mentioned elsewhere, there still seems to be a bit of the old pioneer hospitality this far North. The general reaction to our presence was slight bemusement as I don't think they get much passing trade in these parts.

Although I did not see any evidence of food or a menu, the website states that they serve wings, pizza and specials every day. When I went to use the (spotless) "facilities I had a peek into the kitchen which was immaculate as the image shows so I would have no hesitation in eating here. I was nicely settled but we always have to be moving on and time was getting away from us so we bade our farewells and got back on the road.

I have to recommend the DeBolt very highly as it is just the sort of friendly, welcoming community bar that I absolutely adore. Proper pub.
DeBolt Hotel, Alberta.

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

DeBolt Map