De Volksabdij

De Volksabdij Rates and Deals

De Volksabdij Ossendrecht Reviews

pms70 pms70
Very secluded hotel, restaurant and conference centre Jan 14, 2009
I stayed at this hotel and conference centre to attend a therapy group for friends and family of alcoholics. (This may be kinda personal but as there seems to be such a cloud of shame and denial around this subject I think it would be a good thing if more people spoke about it...) The people who organised this always use De Volksabdij (as it is called for short) to have these groups.

The first thing I noticed about De Volksabdij before I even got there is how difficult it is to get to if you don't have a car. I had to get there by public transport which involved a couple of trains and in my case a Traintaxi. You could also get there by bus, but either way there was a long driveway to walk down. It is located in a forest which makes it a very peaceful setting.

The complex consists of the original building, which was built in 1936 as a workcamp for unemployed youths. It was later used as a emergency hospital and boarding school. At different stages more buildings were added which housed classrooms, and there is now a reception area, restaurant and several conference rooms.

The accommodation has different types of rooms: some have a private bathroom and others share these facilities, the latter of which I stayed in. All of the rooms have their own washbasin, a desk and wardrobe. The beds were comfortable and although the room was small it was fine for a few nights. The shared bathroom was not so great in my opinion, although the shower itself was the best I've had in a long time! However the cubicles were tiny and there was not much room to put anything, just one hook on the wall. And of course the whole floor got wet so you are trying to keep your clothes from getting wet while you dress, not ideal!

The restaurant was fine, we had a deal with a buffet style breakfast and lunch and a set dinner. For goups like ours the meals were served in a seperate dining room than the restaurant. The buffets were adequate, a few types of bread, meats and cheeses, some salads for lunch and a hot dish. The dinners were nice, good sized portions. I would say that most of the meals could use extra salt and pepper (even though I usually don't use a lot of salt!), and sometimes it was forgotten to replenish things.

One thing I really disliked about this place was that it was so cold (except the bedroom I'm glad to say)! I know the temperatures were quite low (down to -10C) but I was frozen to the bone most of the time. In the restaurant I sat with my back to the window and I cramped up from the cold (no double glazing). I must admit though that the snow made the whole place look really pretty! Another thing that I did not like was the internet connection, it was very difficult to get online and the speed was shocking! Maybe that says a lot about me and my internet addiction though....
Original building at night
Bedroom towards door
The garden

De Volksabdij Overview

If you are after hotel rooms in Ossendrecht, be sure to consider De Volksabdij! Markiezenhof Museum and Gevangenpoort are just two of the many attractions to be found in the region. This Ossendrecht hotel has its own restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch where you will find a selection of items to try. If you want low-key dining options, you will be pleased to find barbecue grills and a coffee shop/cafe. Guests can also enjoy drinks as there is a bar/lounge. Free wireless Internet access is provided. If you need to work while away, then this hotel has conference/meeting rooms for hire and audio-visual equipment. The reception desk is open during limited hours where you will also find free newspapers. free parking is available on site. Other amenities include complimentary bicycles and a garden.

De Volksabdij Amenities

• Meeting Rooms
  • Bicycle Rental
  • Garden
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Luggage Storage