De Unie

De Unie Rotterdam Reviews

planxty planxty
Strange things happen to me. Apr 11, 2017
De unie.

I hope the reader has found this review by way of reading the journal entry to which it is hopefully attached but if it isn't I should explain that I had gone on a walking tour in Rotterdam and managed to get myself detached from the group and I stress that that was through no fault of the tour guide. It does seem quite improbable as we are both 6'5" and he has a shock of blond hair sowe should have spotted each other easily enough but it happened. That was no problem as I knew which direction home was and so I set off in that general direction.

In cases such as this there is only one solution and that is to adopt planxty SOPs (Standard Operational Procedures) i.e. find a bar and so off I went. Normally, I would have dived into the first bar I saw but for some reason I walked past a couple of perfectly acceptable looking venues. I am quite used to things like this happening to me and don't consciously dwell on it, I just go where the mood takes me. Turning into a street I now know to be called Mauritsweg I saw the rather strange sight of a fairly modern and slightly odd looking building sandwiched two traditional old Dutch structures which was obviously a cafe / bar. I put this down to it probably having been bombed in World War Two when the Germans virtually obliterated central Rotterdam by bombing it flat.

Despite the fact that there was only one other customer there, a lady with a glass of wine watching the world go by, I went in. It was lunchtime so my normal instinct would have been that the place was unpopular which must be for a reason for that and avoided it but I didn't. Looking round, it was clean and tidy with no apparent reason for the lack of patrons.

I walked past the hugely ornate wooden chair you can see in the images and wondered what it was doing there as the rest of the decor was modern. I actually thought it was a salvaged pupit from an old church somewhere although the significance eluded me. I ordered my beer from the friendly barman who appeared to be quite busy doing various chores behind the bar. I later found out that the place is primarily a gay nightclub which is open until 0500 so he was probably just sorting out some odds and ends from the night before.

Another quick beer and I went on my way thinking nothing more about what looked to me like just another Dutch bar if slightly architecturally quirky. It is only writing this some months later (sorry) that I discovered De Unie is of considerable artistic importance. As this is merely meant to be a review of a bar I shall give you only a very brief potted history. De Unie was not originally here at all but in nearby Coolsingel where it was indeed bombed during the war. It had been designed by J.J.P. Oud, a leading member of de Stijl (the Style) which was a Dutch artistic / architectural movement of the 1920s known as neo-plasticism, whatever that is. No, I had never heard of any of this so travel does indeed broaden the mind!

In 1986 an architect called Weeber came up with the idea of completely reconstructing De Unie in a spare "hole" in the current location which is what he did. As I say, this is only a brief overview but an internet search of anything I have mentioned so far is fascinating and it has already taken me over four hours to compose this brief review.

Knowing the history of the building is great and whilst researching it I also found out what the "pulpit" was all about. Although not an original piece it is of artistic interest also. J.J.P. Oud had designed this piece which was rather prosaically called Chair 07B which, for various reasons, was never realised. When de Unie was beng rebuilt the interior designer, a chap called Hopman, sought and obtained permission from Oud's heirs to produce a limited edition of 52 of these chairs which he did. It is all clear to me now.

As a bar it is perfectly fine and I have no complaints at all but I cannot help but wonder why I walked past others to go in here. Strange things happen to me!

Check Rotterdam Hotel Deals