84 Schietbaanstraat, Oostende, Belgium
059 33 08 73

De Oesterput Oostende Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Great place to learn more about Oysters Jul 29, 2008
I had always enjoyed my oysters in Belgium and especially on Wednesdays at Place Chatelain where I lived. Here at the local market Here Cathy was serving oysters together with a glass or a bottle of white wine and I was a regular.

Giving my love to Oysters I was quite pleased that I was joining my colleagues from the office in visiting the Oesterput in Oostende to hear more about the Oyster production and Oysters in general. So far my main knowledge about oysters where related to the different ways in eating them.

Just like New York Oostende boasts a glorious oyster past. At the end of the nineteenth century, the flat oysters from Oostende could be found on the menus of all the luxury restaurants in Europe and they were even eaten at the court of the Russian czars.

During World War I the oyster ponds already suffered but the poor quality of the 1970s dealt the final blow. Some 15-20 years ago the De Oesterput near the Oostende sluice dock and the lighthouse, started cultivating and refining the one and only Oostende oyster or Ostendaise again. The result is a mild-tasting oyster, which is less salty than its French or Zeeland peers.

The tour of De Oesterput was quite interesting; they told us about how to spot good and bad ones. The tour also included lobsters and ended with tasting of the oysters as well.
De Oesterput

Compare Middelkerke Hotel Rates (6.9km away)

De Oesterput Map