De Fa Chang

www.dfc.com.cn - +86 029-87881559

De Fa Chang Xi'an Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Shaanxi Dumpling Sensation Nov 23, 2014
De Fa Chang has several restaurant branches in Xi'an (Shaanxi) and is well known in the city for its Dumpling Dishes. The branches are the following in Xi'an:

1.) Bell Tower and Drum Tower branch: No. 3, West Street, the square of Drum Tower, Lianhu District

2.) Economic Development Zone branch: No. 122, Weiyang Road, Weiyang District

3.) Small Wild Goose Pagoda branch: No. 74, West Youyi Road, Beilin District, in the east of the North Gate of Small Wild Goose Pagoda

I visited #3 while in Xi'an and can attest to the quality of the dumplings served here. Delicious and well presented, but there is a variety of other food as well here. In this review I would also like to illustrate the style of Chinese dining. Restaurants such as this one have a public dining room for meals, but also have private rooms to eat in. This is very typical Chinese style, but you have to make reservations usually for the private room.

Most Chinese dining in private rooms have a large table with a rotating centerpiece so food can be moved around the table for easy sampling of the dishes, but are also found in public dining rooms too depending on the restaurant size and is typical in larger restaurants accommodating larger groups. I am often amazed at the variety and number of dishes that keep coming when in one of these private rooms. I've experienced it on a number of occasions now so it it something typical I think.

I thought I would use the occasion of this review to explain something of the Chinese dining style. Sometimes there is much toasting too in 'Gam Bei' with strong whiskey where you must bottoms up and keep up! Other times there is a brown drink that is no-alcoholic I think that is passed around. I am not sure what it's made of, but I don't really like it and drink only a little just to be polite. There is also a yellow one I an sure is corn and I don't like it either. In Chinese culture it's always best to participate, so drink a little even if you don't like it, otherwise you may offend the host.
De Fa Chang Restaurant