Dawson Creek Historical Walking Tour.

Dawson Creek, Canada
Dawson Creek Historical Walking Tour. - Historical information sign, Dawson Creek.
Dawson Creek Historical Walking Tour. - Historical Information Board, Dawson Creek.

Dawson Creek Historical Walking Tour. Reviews

planxty planxty
A walk back in time. Mar 17, 2017
The visitor to the central business district of Dawson Creek will not have to walk very far until they start encountering the distinctive information boards as pictured on this review with a monochrome image and a yellow information panel at the bottom. They are part of a self-guided historical walking tour promoted by the local tourist authority and which feature the pioneer and World War Two history of the community. They are very informative.

I love to walk anywhere I go as I find it easily the best way to get to know somewhere so this was right up my street (pun absolutely intended). There is a guide available from the Visitor Centre and the Art Gallery (details of both of which are on other tips on this page) as well as a few other places around town. We did not actually get one but I am sure we covered all the bases as the area in question is not all that big but we had time on our hands and I suppose they would be of use to the traveller not in that fortunate position.

The boards are numbered but I did not see much rhyme nor reason to the numbering system as they did not appear to be chronological nor always following the most obvious route but I am sure that the tourist people know far better than I do.

I found it particularly appealing to stand more or less in the place the original images had been taken and observe what had changed and what had not. I also found this to be yet another example of the huge sense of civic pride that is so evident here. Dawson Creek has a history of a touch over a century and my late grandparents were all born before the city was even a recognisable community. My late Mother (RIP) and my Father were both of school age before it was even incorporated as a village.

Whilst the history is comparatively short it is a fascinating one and certainly presented to very good effect with this project so hats off to the worthies of the City for doing that.

Certainly recommended and the best thing is that both the walking and the guide are free!
Historical Information Board, Daws…
Historical Information Board, Daws…
Historical information sign, Dawso…
Historical information sign, Dawso…
davejo says:
These self guided walking tours are about the first thing i look for. Best way to explore a new town
Posted on: Mar 17, 2017