Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe

111 N Rural Dr. Monterey Park, Monterey Park, CA, USA

Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe Monterey Park Reviews

Cho Cho
Didn't live up to our expectations Nov 12, 2016
The last time I ate in a Myanmar restaurant was well over a year ago in Buffalo, New York. So, to celebrate my belated birthday we went to this place in Monterey Park which is about an hour's drive away from where we live.

I had read rave reviews on both Yelp and Trip Advisor about another Daw Yee restaurant in Los Angeles but my son-in-law said the food there was specially prepared to better suit Western taste buds and the one in Monterey Park was more to the liking of the local Burmese living in that area.

We arrived there early for dinner and there was only a single diner so we got quick service. Both the waitress and cashier were Burmese and it was good to converse in our native language with people other than our own family members.

My young grandson is not a fan of Myanmar cuisine being born and bred in the United States, but the rest of us of course were looking forward to the meal. I found it all right, I think mainly because as mentioned earlier, I hadn't eaten restaurant cooked Burmese food for some time. However, both my daughter and her husband were quite disappointed in the quality of the food except for the tofu salad which they said was not bad.

If I'm not mistaken, I think they must have their regular clientele, plus walk in customers like us. While we were eating, two big groups came in.

For dessert we ordered 'faluda' which is similar to halo halo in the Philippines. Actually, this drink originated from Iran and spread to India and eventually to Myanmar where it still is a very popular dessert drink. Anyway, I enjoyed it!

The decor inside the restaurant wasn't so eye pleasing either although I noticed some positive newspaper reviews/recommendations hung on the wall. Perhaps we should have gone to the other branch of Daw Yee in Los Angeles. If or when I do, I'll write another review of that place.

Remarks: Reading positive or negative reviews about a restaurant, hotel or attraction on travel sites doesn't necessarily mean that place is really good or bad. I found that out multiple times in my travels, and I'm certain many TB members have too.
Restaurant entrance
Inside restaurant
Inside restaurant
Menu cover
cotton_foam says:
Thank you for the unbiased review, Cho!! :)
Posted on: Nov 12, 2016