David Brown Restaurant & Tea Terrace

Penang, Malaysia

David Brown Restaurant & Tea Terrace Penang Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Get ripped off at the peak of the Penang Hill Sep 18, 2015
David Brown Restaurant & Tea Terrace is a newly opened establishment. It is the only restaurant on the hill!

We decided to have a drink at the bar while enjoying the view on the hill. Oh my, the price of the drinks & food are crazy here. It is total rip off esp considering that it is self-service. You have to go and order your drink at the counter. My ice lemon tea costs RM17! Even though RM17 is not worth much when I convert it back to Swiss Francs, still this is too much since this is lemon ice tea NOT Long Island ice tea! My husband’s tiger beer costs RM18. All prices excluding tax. What is the rationale here? The ice tea was not even cold despite much ice since what I got was essentially hot tea + slice of lemon + ice.

I also find the staff (I dont know whether they are locals, perhaps Filipino or tribal people from Sabah/ Sarawak) lacks basic restaurant etiquette. Instead of coming to our table (which is at least 100 metres from where the counter is) to tell us that we should go to the counter & place our orders, the waiter just shouts from the counter “Order yourself here!” Considering that there are only 6 customers (3 couples including us) and there are 3 staffs on duty, I don’t see why 1 staff could not come to us to take our order?

My advise, if you are thirsty – go the station & buy a can drink/ bottled drink from the vending machine. You can still find a spot to sit and enjoy the view. Avoid this place. You can also come up at the bar & take a photo and go off.

I did not take much photos here cos I was mad but i will post that RM17 ice tea photo here.
Foxfauz with the RM17 ice lemon tea