Daughters of American Revolution Museum

www.dar.org/museum - 202-628-1776

Daughters of American Revolution Museum Washington Reviews

diisha392 diisha392
Seeing History Feb 19, 2011
I love history so I was definitely interested in seeing the Period Rooms at the DAR building. Thirty-one states have contributed to the creation of a room, the styles ranging in time from the American Revolution to the early 20th century. We saw about a little over a dozen of these rooms on our guided tour. I was partial to the Ohio room designed as a parlor but the New Hampshire room--an attic playroom-- and the Texas room--a pioneer bedroom--also ranked high on my list. All the rooms were carefully designed. I would be interested in visiting around Christmas when some of the rooms are decorated for the holiday.

A major showpiece of the tour is a stop in the balcony level of the genealogy room. Here anyone can come to research their family history in thousands of books containing records of births, deaths, marriages and other vital data. (Small fee for non-members of DAR).

Our tour guide was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. However, since the Period Rooms are small and have a limited viewing space, if your tour appears to be larger than 3 or 4 people, I would recommend opting for the self-guided tour. Each room has a binder in front of it with information on the room as well as other photos of it.

I'm also not sure how handicap accessible the overall tour is. We took an elevator to go up to the second floor but after that we did a lot of climbing stairs.

The DAR museum is accessible by Metro (Farragut North or Farragut West); you will need to walk several blocks but it's easy to find.
in the New Hampshire room