Das Autobahn or Bundesautobahn (BAB)

Germany
Das Autobahn or Bundesautobahn (BAB) - Driving in Germany

Das Autobahn or Bundesautobahn (BAB) Reviews

Chokk Chokk
The last bastion of speed in the world Jun 02, 2011
I actually have a slow car after German standards but I usually drive what the car can drive, when I am in Germany and on das Autobahn. My car is something as boring as Opel Insignia 2,2 litre eco flex and when I am in Germany I like to push it to its limits.

To me driving 180 – 200 km/h on the parts of the German autobahn where they have free speed is a fair travelling speed. It is fairly easy to drive like this as most of the other driver does keep their cars to the right all the time, so no incidents happen.

When meeting drivers from some countries you have to pay extra attention of when passing in these speeds and they are the Dutch, Swedes, German and Norwegians. The reason is that the fines are so huge in these countries that no one drives that fast normally and their speed limits are often around 130 km/h. Are you caught in these countries for driving fast you lose the drives license and you get a humongous fine; the drivers are therefore not used to drive together with other fast drivers.

The German Autobahnen are the nationally coordinated motorway system in Germany. In German, they are officially called Bundesautobahn (BAB), which translates as federal way for cars.

German autobahnen have no general speed limit (though about 55% of the total length is subject to local and/or conditional limits), but the advisory speed limit is 130 kilometres per hour.

Germany's autobahn network has a total length of about 12,800 km in 2010, which ranks as the third-longest in the world behind the Interstate Highway System of the United States and the National Trunk Highway System of the People's Republic of China.
Driving in Germany