Darwin City YHA

Check Darwin Hotel Deals

Darwin City YHA Reviews

goezi goezi
Budget for backpackers Mar 21, 2010
Like most YHA's this one was full of friendly young travelers keen to share their stories and the space. I enjoyed 3 nights here in a 6 bed bunkroom with men who were either traveling or were long term residents (this seems to be common in Darwin hostels) because they'd found work in the area.

The reception was managed by a very friendly collection of ladies, most of whom were working for their room rent. The hostel had a number of staff doing this and were looking for cleaners, night porters and handypersons when I was there.

I didn't book my bed but I didn't get a 4 bed dorm as I'd hoped. The season was just starting to get busy and the place was filling up in the next few days.

My 6 bed bunk room was more untidy than I would have liked and the lack of opening windows meant the aircon just recirculated the stale air so it smelt a little musty. The first night I made my bed up on the top bunk but the next night I was able to grab a vacated bottom bunk.

I accepted the YHA supplied bedsheets but didn't bother with the kitchen kit as I intended to dine out rather than eat here in the hostel.

The kitchen seemed well equipped and out by the lovely pool there were two large barbeques and a number of picnic tables. I sent most of my time at the YHA in this area swimming, sunbathing or chatting.

Up stairs is a tv room where there is a selection of dvds that you can watch if you have control of the remote. Downstairs is a public bar where drinkers can spill into the courtyard of the YHA. I have found Darwin drinkers to be a fould mouthed lot so I tried to stay out of earshot of the blokes after they'd finished work and arrived for their beers.

The location of Darwin YHA was good. Mitchell Street is the main street of the city centre and where most of the pubs, clubs and eateries are found -also the tourist traps and holiday vendors but it's a couple of blocks from the heart making it quiet in the evenings if you need to catch up on your sleep.

I liked the place, mostly because of the people and the pool but at about $20 per night for a member it's an inexpensive bed when your on a tight backpacking budget.
Darwin YHA entrance
Pool & BBQ area
Bunk room: bathroom/shower and fri…
Relaxing in the sun