Dana Wharf Sport Fishing

Dana Point, California

Dana Wharf Sport Fishing Dana Point Reviews

timthrax timthrax
Dana Wharf Sport Fishing - Humbolt Squid Jun 16, 2008
So last year Orange County was lucky enough to have 2 occasions where the Humbolt Squid migrated north around San Diego, OC, and Southern LA. Dana Wharf Sport fishing cought on and started running charters. I was pissed I missed the first round so as soon as I heard about this I signed up and bought a ticket, a 1 day fishing liscense, a few squid jigs, and a lot of beer. Heineken.

I was cheap and didn't know any better and went on a Tuesday, which is 2 for 1 day, so the boat was full but not too crowded. We headed out to where the squid were hanging around and chummed the water to bring them to the surface. While we were waitin, the galley supplied us with cold beer and some of the best home made cheeseburgers your'e going to find on a fishing boat.

Shortly, the squid started coming to the surface. And en masse! We started pulling them up right and left! They were aggressive little fuckers too, they were even eating eachother, attacking the squid that were hooked! These guys were huge! Once on deck they would squirt ink and start flashing all kinds of colors.

We fished for a few hours, the trip ended quickly i felt, although we were out onthe water for quite a while. On the way back to the harbor the crew cleaned and prepared the squid, which is law now i guess becuase people were gutting them inthe parking lot and squid ink doesnt wash out, i have a pair of work pants that still bear the inks. They supply each person with a burlap bag for containing your catch til its cleaned and cut. Once cut your'e left with a huge chunk of squid meat. Im talkin huge. Ours looked like one of those spiral notebooks you use in college, the freakin huge ones! And as we waited for all the squid to be cut the galley kept the bugers cookin and the beer flowin.

All in all I would say this was one of the coolest things in OC. Although the squid thing is rare, I would highly recommend joining one of their fishing charters. The prices are very reasonable, cheaper thani had anticipated. Although Tuesdays are half price, i would recommend paying full price and enjoying a less populated boat. Also the crew were a lot of fun and were very helpful with aiding newbs and the elderly in tying their lures on, casting, and on bring caught fish on deck.

I even went back for their Whale Watching excursion which was actually pretty cool, albeit the burgers and beer were also available then too. The whole experience left me with a full belly and plenty of pics and videos of grey whales breaching, there were also Dolphins and Sea Lions as well.

These guys know what they are doing and I would highly recommend, if your'e ever in Southern Orang County, to check it out. Theyre located on the water in Dana Point right off of Golden Lantern Dr.

Check Dana Point Hotel Deals