Dana-Thomas House

301 E. Lawrence Ave, Springfield, IL, USA

Dana-Thomas House Springfield Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture in the Heartland Jan 24, 2010
The Dana-Thomas House in Springfield was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Construction began in 1902 and was completed in 1904 (around the original 1860 Lawrence home; the Victorian Room in the House is original). Throughout the home, interior and exterior, the Nature theme is evident. Sumac leaves decorate the eaves and butterflies, a personal favorite of Susan Lawrence Dana, are present in the windows and chandeliers. The home is absolutely beautiful. Frank Lloyd Wright also designed the furniture, over 100 pieces still remain in the house. I was surprised to see there is a bowling alley in the basement of the home, and there are 400+ hooks in the cloakroom.

The house is names the Dana House, after Susan Lawrence's first married named. Thomas is the name of the third owner of the home; a Publishing Company. The State of Illinois bought the home in 1981 to utilize the property as a museum. The house underwent a complete restoration, taking three years: 1987-1990.

It was a 45-minute tour throughout the home. Our guide was very informative; he had answers for all the questions, no matter how minute the detail. He spoke in a montone voice, but a soothing tone as he asked us to envision the home in the early 1900s, when foreign dignitaries and governors would attend parties and events at the home. I thought it was funny, though, any time we passed a mirror, he'd straighten his hair. It was one of those quirks that I couldn't help giggling.

I had studied Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in an art history class in college. I remember enjoying the lectures, but I had never been privileged enough to see it in person. When I learned that Wright had built a home in Springfield, I knew I had to make a point to visit at some time. (I was more surprised to learn that I actually drive by the home EVERYDAY on my way from work).

Pictures are not allowed in the home, but can be taken outside. And, there is not an admittance fee, but donations are gladly accepted.

Related Travel Blogs About Dana-Thomas House

1000 Places to See Before You Die -- US & Canada... My List
Land Between the Lakes -- Kentucky Branson -- Missouri Shawnee National Forest -- Illinois St. Louis Arch -- St. Louis, Missouri (5/1995) Lincoln Historic Sights... New Salem (11/1996); …Springfield, Illinois (4/2007) Sailing the Inside Passage -- Alaska (7/2007) Sitka -- Alaska (7/2007) National Gallery of Art -- DC (8/2007) National Zoo -- DC (8/2007) Lawrence -- Kansas (11/2007) Pearl Harbor -- Hawaii (12/2007) Honolulu…

Check Springfield Hotel Deals