Damascus Hostel

Damascus Hostel Rates and Deals

Damascus Hostel Reviews

aad_aad aad_aad
Perfectly located hostel Jun 17, 2009
This nice little family hostel is perfectly located inside the old City. It actually is located on top of the old city wall. It therefore has two ways of entrance. You can come in through the front door via a route through the little back alleys the old city is loaded of. The other way is via the rope-ladder they can lower from the top of the wall after you ring the bell (they hoist your bag up with a rope). A thing you'll have to try when staying here.

I stayed here three time during my trip. First when arriving, then after a short visit to Beirut and finally as a last stop of my trip through Syria, before crossing the border to Jordan. It cost me 22 euros per night.

The hostel is used by travelers and long stay students that (usually) study Arabic at one of the universities. At night usually a couple of people hang out in the nice little courtyard inside the building.

Buffet breakfast is included, which is a simple standard Syrian breakfast. They offer several additional services, like laundry (for a small fee) and tours around Syria. They are also very helpful with planning trips. The owner has made notes with instructions noting where to go for a trip (which bus-station etc.) often these also include Arabic instructions for taxi-drivers.

I got upgraded to a better room a couple of times, because they didn't have the right room available (probably in use by a student). The rooms have air-conditioning, which certainly is very helpful. Further the rooms are good, depending on the type off-course.

They have airport pickup, which cost me 25 Euros one-way (45 if you choose pick-up and drop-off). The chauffeur was waiting for me with a sign, perfectly arranged. Especially helpful since I arrived around 11pm.

Note: As I'm writing this review now, there is a large-scale unrest. The website is still up and running, but it may have changed in the meanwhile. I would certainly stay here again if I travel here again.
The front entrance
The alley just before the entrance
View from the wall/hostel
View from the wall/hostel

Damascus Hostel Overview

Damascus Hostel is located in Bab Touma Al Abbarah Street, in the heart of old Damascus, popular for the tourist attractions. There is no need to take a taxi due to its location.

The hostel is comprised of single, double, triple, and family rooms. All rooms are equipped with private bathroom and air conditioning. There are few single rooms with shared bathrooms available.

Damascus Hostel is an old historic building heritage built over the old city wall. It has a back entrance by medieval rope ladder for the adventurous. It provides accommodation both for students and tourists.

Damascus Hostel Amenities

• Luggage Storage
  • Self Laundry

Related Travel Blogs About Damascus Hostel

She's IMMORTAL !
‘…..no recorded event has occurred in the world but Damascus was in existence to receive news of it. Go back as far as you will into the vague past, there was always a Damascus…She has looked u…Damascus without any hostel reservation was eventful as my thought of there must be availabities was completely wrong. I dragged…
Holy Land
I love Jerusalem. That about sums it up.  I hate to use superlatives - especially while being in the moment & without time for context - but I dare say the old city here is my favorite loca…hostel is located directly opposite the Damascus gate & it is a beehive of activity.  I just love…
Killing in the name of
We got up early and left at 8, we had to go to the ministry of the interior to get permits to enter the U.N controlled buffer zone (not another bloody one). It took about an hour and we were on our w…hostel called Mike for a great evening meal at a little place he knew. He had been to Damascus

Check Damascus Hostel Rates and Deals