Dallas Farmers Market

Dallas Farmers Market Reviews

michellepowell michelle…
Jan 28, 2008
The Dallas Farmers market

I told a friend I planned on writing a review about the Dallas Farmer’s market and she snickered and asked who would possibly want to read it and what could you write about. I thought for a moment and the photos I have taken came back to me; let’s start with the 5 types of raisins, 12 varieties of nuts, 18 varieties of beans, 8 varieties of apples, 49 varieties of flowers and yes of course the bottled Pepsi straight from Mexico. At this point some of you are probably thinking so what it is a bottled Pepsi what is the big deal? The Pepsi from Mexico one doesn’t have the regulations that the US stuff does and two they use raw cane sugar. I personally love my caffeine, that twitchy filling you get right before it really kicks in and then that sudden burst of energy. Well the Pepsi from Mexico is too daunting for even me to finish a bottle, after about half of it I am bouncing off the fricking walls and looking for something to get into. Okay, off my caffeine obsession and back to the Farmers Market.

I will start with the best time of year to go, May, unleash the local produce season, it’s like a torrent of rain after a long, dry spell. Late spring and early summer are the only times of year when, with scant effort, you can buy loads of fresh-off-the-farm fruits and vegetables, often from men and women who freshly picked them. Ah, I sense the skepticism from the non-believers!

Once you bite into a sweet, juicy Texas peach, you’ll never settle for those baseball-hard, California ringers again. After the juice from that white-corn drips down your chin you will find yourself scheduling trips over the summer to Texas and staying close to downtown. The same is true for tomatoes: local ones are fleshy, ripe and bursting with flavor verse the pale, mealy wannabes trucked in from out of state. The fresh honey from local farmers leaves bees from other states wanting to relocate.

When you taste produce this fresh, you begin to understand why some people get excited over mere fruits and vegetables. One of the added benefits of foraging for sustenance at the farmers market is the lower prices you will find.

That’s not to diss mainstream supermarkets, it’s not their mission to promote local stuff, which is less consistent and more perishable that the steady, year-round supply they must maintain.

Then you have the fresh-cut flower section that rivals Pikes Market on a bad day, the average day consists of 49 varieties of cut fresh flowers for the nose to behold and the senses to absorb.

It is Christmas come early for your palette however; out of the 11 acres of land I have only described a small molecule of it. You also can explore two buildings completely packed with furniture, accessories, decorative items, clothing, leather, alcohol, home décor, paintings, pictures and more. The majority of the items have been brought in from Mexico and the prices are fair.

Lerking on the 11 acres in the recesses of its dark belly you will find the seafood vendor. He stealthily changes his location each weekend requiring you to search endlessly for those fresh and tasty giant prawns. They are flown in fresh every Saturday morning from the coast and will make your mouth water like a rabid dog. If you are really fortunate they will also have fresh red fish and crab legs. For those of you thinking I can get crab legs at the local store, I must say, WRONG! You are getting frozen or week old product that has lost most of its natural juices and been soaked in chemicals to maintain the freshness just a little longer. For those of you who have had fresh seafood off the boat, I will give you a moment to reflect and remember the amazing taste….. Okay back to it.

Generally, at this point I would give you history on the location and all of the tourist crap, instead I will say it is open 7 days a week from 6am-6pm and here are a few of the items you can expect to find:

Tomatoes, okra, 1015 sweet onions, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, cucumbers, peas (black-eyed, crowder, lady cream, and purple hull), zucchini, yellow squash, corn, eggplant, new potatoes, peppers, green beans, pinto beans, melons, spinach, apples, oranges, watermelon, cantaloupe, greens, fresh eggs(white and brown), nuts and much more. Oh, yeah did I mention the Pepsi from Mexico? Also, there are signs all over down-town so finding it is a walk in the park.
Aopaq says:
Great review....your descriptions of all the fresh produce makes my mouth water!!
Posted on: Feb 03, 2008
viciousv04 says:
I used to live right here! Awesome Pics!! :)
Posted on: Jan 31, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Dallas Farmers Market

Dallas Farmers Market
This place is just huge. I really enjoyed taking sometime to walk around and check out all the local items for sale. I think I was a bit mislead thinking that this would be a true farmers market. the…This place is just huge. I really enjoyed taking sometime to walk around and check out all the local items…

Check Dallas Hotel Deals