Kyoto, Japan
Daitoku-ji - Kõtõ-in

Daitoku-ji Kyoto Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Beautiful temple and garden complex Oct 02, 2008
I'm a big fan of temples and gardens and the city of Kyoto offers plenty of those. On my previous 2 times in the city, I had been to several of the famous temples & gardens. But this time, as I was on my own, I had picked out to start this day with a visit to the Daitoku-Ji.

It's a buddhist temple, one of 14 branches of the Rinzai school of japanese Zen. Entrance ticket to the complex costs 400 yen (around 3,50 euros or around 5 US dollars).

I got a small map at the entrance, in japanese, and used it to navigate my way around. Although there is one main path that you can follow, there are several smaller paths that lead to various halls and small gardens.

I found the gardens really beautiful, some were quite simple, but still beautiful to see. The biggest garden in the complex is the rock garden of Daisen-in.

For an extra 300 yen (around 2,70 euros or around 3,70 US dollars) I bought an entrance ticket. It's a beautiful garden and building, but unfortunately, photography isn't allowed once I had entered. For an extra 200 yen (around 1,80 euros or around 2,50 US dollars) I could get a tea and a cake. I didn't do it.

If you like temples and gardens and wander through them, like I do, then you'll really love this place!
Garden of the Cross
Garden of Solitary Sitting

Related Travel Blogs About Daitoku-ji

Day 9: More gardens and temples in Kyoto
I woke up at around 8:30am, seeing from the light through a peek in the curtains, it was a sunny day. I got up and got dressed, watching the news for the weather report. The weather was staying sunny…Daitoku-ji Temple, the Kinkaku-ji Temple (also known as the Golden Pavilion) and the Royan-ji Temple with its Rock Garden. I took the subway at the Kyoto

Check Kyoto Hotel Deals