Daikokuya Ramen

Los Angeles, California
Daikokuya Ramen - Daikokuya Ramen Original Noodle & Rice Bowl in Little Tokyo
Daikokuya Ramen - Daikokuya Ramen
Daikokuya Ramen - Sheila, Nhi, and Jenn
Daikokuya Ramen - Angela at lunch!
Daikokuya Ramen - Anh really likes the food =)
Daikokuya Ramen - Hard to find entrance
Daikokuya Ramen - Anh and I at Daikokuya

Daikokuya Ramen Los Angeles Reviews

TRE69 TRE69
Slurping Means It Tastes GOOD! Sep 10, 2008
Daikokuya Ramen Original Noodle & Rice Bowl occupies a tiny space on 1st Street just steps away from the Japanese American National Museum, Japanese Village Plaza, and the Geffen Contemporary of MOCA.

Jenn79 introduced me, Nhi, and Sheila to this wonderful ramen and rice house and I have to admit that I have gone back several times by myself to cure my cold symptoms as well as with family and friends.

Jenn and I shared the Daikokuya Ramen combination with small teriyaki eel bowl.

The combo came with a small salad of shredded iceberg lettuce and carrot with a miso and mayo dressing...it was refreshing.

The bowl of ramen contains pieces of kurobuta pork belly, a whole boiled egg, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, green onions, and sesame seed topping. The ramen noodles were firm but cooked through perfectly and is totally above and beyond better than the instant version that I am so used to. The broth had a rich meaty flavor and I enjoyed it with dollops of chopped garlic which is one of several condiments on the table top.

The teriyaki eel is also fabulous with the fish being broiled until it is just cooked so it is still oily and moist and its teriyaki glaze on sticky rice is so awesome!

The last time I went, I ordered the ramen kotteri which has a richer and fattier broth made from pork back fat...yum!

Jenn warned us the wait would be long and she wasn't kidding. I think we waited over an hour for a table to seat the four of us. But the long wait was SO worth it!
Daikokuya Ramen Original Noodle & …
Daikokuya Ramen
Sheila, Nhi, and Jenn
Dr_Seuss says:
Great when somewhere lives up to expectations 8)
Posted on: Jan 09, 2010
jenn79 jenn79
Mar 01, 2007
Easily the best Ramen place in all of Los Angeles, and located on 1st street in Little Tokyo!

Their menu is somewhat small, but what it lacks in variety it makes up in terms of quality and authenticity. My favorite dishes to get there are the house ramen with a small eel bowl on the side. A second favorite is the chow mein, which sounds ordinary, but is anything but - it is one of the tastiest dishes I've ever tried.

They also serve some sashimi, sushi and teriyaki, but I haven't tried these yet as it's so hard to change dishes since the ramen is so yummy!!

Unfortunately due to the tiny size of this restaurant, expect to find long lines during weekday lunches and weekend dinners. They're open pretty late, but on weekends there's a line from 6pm onwards. If you plan going during a weekday lunch, try to get there before 11:20 or else you'll also have a long wait.
Angela at lunch!
Hard to find entrance
Anh and I at Daikokuya
Anh really likes the food =)

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals