Dahab Hostel

Cairo, Egypt
02 25799104
Dahab Hostel - Rooftop terrace at daytime - a perfect spot to kick back, relax and liaise with other hostel guests
Dahab Hostel - Rooftop terrace by night
Dahab Hostel - The little kitties practicing climbing ;)
Dahab Hostel - My room by night: it wasn't exactly huge and the bed was old, but a private room for under 6€ is a great deal!

Check Cairo Hotel Deals

Dahab Hostel Cairo Reviews

mirkku387 mirkku387
Great rooftop terrace for mingling, helpful staff - overall a top notch hostel! Jul 11, 2012
As usual I did a lot of comparing before booking my Cairo accommodation on Hostelworld.com, and finally decided to go for Dahab Hostel based on previous reviews. And I did not have to regret. Because my plane was scheduled to land after midnight, I arranged the reasonably priced airport pickup prior to arrival - and there my designated driver was, waiting for me with a sign and a warm smile. He took me to the hostel with possibly the oldest Lada I've ever seen and we had a nice conversation throughout the journey. Once at the hostel, checking in to my room went smooth and the guy at the reception was good fun to talk to, so I ended up spending a good while just sitting there talking to him.

My room was very basic, but situated in the rooftop like all their rooms and had a nice view over the city. Plus their free wifi worked everywhere including my room, which is not given even in fancy 4 star hotels. The bed was hard-ish and outdated, but you don't really expect luxury for under 6€ / night for a private room (with shared bathroom), do you? Another great thing was their laundry service: 1LE / 1 piece of clothing with washing, drying and delivery back to your door in a matter of hours. The other guests at the hostel were an awesome bunch of folks and I ended up spending many nice moments with them at the rooftop terrace, exchanging travelling stories while drinking coffee, tea or - later in the evening - beer, which was handy to get from the corner shop downstairs. There were also many take-out options in the neighbourhood, which is always a welcomed commodity for people travelling on a shoestring. If you're in doubt what to have, just ask the reception and they will even order your food for you.

I ended up staying 5 nights instead of the 3 I had booked. I kept on postponing my departure towards Israel because I enjoyed the hostel so much. That's actually quite bizarre considering the fact that I felt uneasy in Cairo - post-revolution Egypt wasn't a very nice experience for a lone female Scandinavian traveller - but the hostel acted as a sanctuary in the middle of the confusing and noisy city where hassle and rip-offs are everyday life. Dahab Hostel was a warmly welcomed contrast to that: all staff members were polite and helpful arranging good deals for you in order to avoid said rip-offs. I booked a minibus trip from the hostel door in Cairo to Taba border via them and paid 120LE, which I consider a bargain as it was completely hassle-free and overall an experience to drive through the deserts at sunrise (the bus leaves Cairo at midnight reaching Taba early in the morning). Even though that night there were 1) a loud whiskey drinking party, 2) indoors chain smoking, 3) a dog getting sick all over the bus and 4) random driving around in order to find gasoline (due to current oil shortage) involved, but that's another kettle of fish!

It is true that the terrace is overcrowded with stray cats, but they are in their own way very intriguing. In 5 days I learned who's the leader, who don't get along with each other and which ones have offspring together: it was like a whole Kingdom of Kitties. I ended up enjoying my breakfast every day together with one of the cats, who adopted me as his human and enjoyed sleeping cuddled up on my lap on any given occasion. Such a cutie. I would go back to Dahab Hostel - if ever in Cairo - just to give him a cuddle and drink tea with other members of the international backpackers' family. Highly recommended hostel experience!
Rooftop terrace at daytime - a per…
The little kitties practicing clim…
Rooftop terrace by night
My room by night: it wasn't exactl…
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
congrats on your featured review
Dr_Seuss says:
Good find :)though the cats would put me off :D Congrats on the feature :)
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!:)
JMiss JMiss
Great meeting ground for friends & travelers, Staff has best interest at heart. Mar 02, 2010
I'll keep this short & sweet. GREAT staff members, who have your best interest at heart; which is VERY HARD to find in Downtown Cairo. Could be a little cleaner but what part of Cairo is "clean"--the cats contribute to this mostly by crapping here & there but the staff does a pretty good job spraying it away, when they see it. The place is pretty darn cheap and I had my own room, bathroom/shower--waking up in the morning made me sneeze pretty much every morning but I believe that's a "quality" of Cairo (LoL). They provide cleaning services for your clothes that is pretty cheap, though crude. The bathroom/shower could have been a little cleaner but if your wanting to stay somewhere unblemished in Cairo; you will prolly have to pay more. Hope this helps.

I'd stay here again... though I also wouldn't mind seeing somewhere else a little further away from the center of town, personally.
TravellingAuntie says:
I found I sneezed alot in Cairo also
Posted on: Mar 02, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Dahab Hostel

Cairo - More than its cracked up to be!
Hostel Dahab is what I would term as functional. Found it easily enough, and very cheap too, a roof-top place a stone's throw from the Cairo Museum, comfortable enough and a decent crowd of guests, m…Hostel Dahab is what I would term as functional. Found it easily enough, and very cheap too, a roof-top place a stone's throw from the Cairo

Check Cairo Hotel Deals