Da Mimmo’s

6-10 Leazes Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Da Mimmo’s Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Like Mamma makes Nov 15, 2017
A friend recommended this unpretentious family-run Italian restaurant near the football ground. We received a friendly welcome and were offered a drink in the small bar area near the entrance while a table was prepared. Once seated we read through the menu which as well as the usual pizza and pasta dishes had a number of different risottos and some fish and meat dishes including several steaks.

To start with I chose one of the day’s specials, a char-grilled camembert with a red onion marmalade. This came on a slice of toasted bread with salad leaves and was rather large so I left most of the bread in order to leave room for my main course! Chris chose the potato skins which came with two sauces (one spicy, one a garlic mayonnaise) and was also a generously sized portion. In future we would share a starter.

For my main course I had one of the risotto dishes, the Fiorentina, which perhaps surprisingly is not with spinach but with wild mushrooms and saffron. It was very nicely cooked to the correct fairly runny consistency and you could really taste the saffron. Chris also enjoyed his prosciutto and mushroom pizza. We were too full for dessert, though these looked good (and included a few rather un-Italian puddings such as apple crumble!)

The atmosphere is very homely, with the owner’s young daughter (I assume) running around and the family and some staff sitting down to eat pasta at a nearby table at one point. Some of the waiters can be quite jokey with customers – if you’re looking for formality you should maybe go elsewhere, but if you’ve ever enjoyed a meal at a family restaurant in Italy you will feel right at home here.

Having said that, on another more recent visit I was a little less impressed, finding my pasta a little over-cooked – unforgiveable in an Italian-run restaurant! But it could just have been an off day, as Chris’s pizza was very good, so we will certainly give it another try some time soon.

Check Newcastle upon Tyne Hotel Deals