D&D Brewery (Dale & Dog)

www.dd-brewery.org - (504) 9994-9719

D&D Brewery (Dale & Dog) Los Naranjos Reviews

MrD3071 MrD3071
Macro-brewery, macro-room Aug 03, 2011
The D&D Brewery might sound like a dream to some, I mean, who would pass up staying in a 'brewery?' The place is quite small, and the actual brewery itself is tiny, very much a macro-brewery. Still, you'd think that theres nothing to complain about having freshly brewed beer on tap? Well, if you like your beer warm your in luck, for those of us who like cold beer, you going to be a little bit stuck...

However its not all bad, theres more to the place then the beer, its location, which is very much off the beaten track is high up in the many hills of Honduras, in a secluded village most notable for growing coffee. Nearby is Pena Blanca, home to a beautiful lake and a great place to go birdwatching. Gusts of the D&D will very likely find themselves meeting Malcome, an English (now) resident of the community and bird fanatic, if your prepaired to be up at 5am you can get a 6am tour (breakfast included) with him to check out the local wildlife, I didnt get a chance to do this myself, but I hear its worthwhile.

There is a pool, though I personally didnt trust the colour of it, so decided against taking a dip, humidity aside. There is a fairly spacious and decent common area (complete with a good ol' fasioned hammock). The brewery provides a resturant, though the menu is very limited, which is a niche as there isnt really anywhere else locally to get food. I'd recommend the pork.

My one gripe with the hostel would be the dorm rooms. I was traveling with some companions, where we had booked a 4 bed dorm for the group, we didnt get the dorm so were offered two smaller rooms, my room had a queensize bed for me to share, which I admit I had no real objection too, but its the principle, if the booking is confirmed we should have gotten the room we asked for. The bathrooms were a joke though, labled as 'private bathrooms' there was certainly nothing private about them... A small shower curtain was the only shield for the shower and toilet, and unless your as thin as a stick insect (I'd worry for you if this was the case), you'll be getting a facefull of curtain when you want to shower.

The saving grace was the climate, its cooler up higher, so at least the rooms are well ventilated and dont get too hot, and yes there are 'skeeter nets.

Overall not a bad place, the manager (I didnt get to meet the owner) was a good laugh and made sure we were having a good time, the setting is lush and worth a visit just for that, just be sure not to expect much of the rooms that you'll be staying in.
Los Naranjos Map