D&D Bed & Breakfast and Micro Brewery

Los Naranjos, Honduras

D&D Bed & Breakfast and Micro Brewery Los Naranjos Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Coffe and Beer... May 28, 2012
And then one day they stopped at the random place, surrounded with coffee fields of Lago Yojoa and said “let’s build a brewery”, and they did it…

It is surprisingly easy to find D&D Brewery and you don’t even need to change that many buses to get to this hostel. We were coming from San Pedro Sula with the local bus that took us all around the lake and dropped us on intersection only 350m from the entrance of the brewery. There are signs leading you to the building, but it is super easy to get there, so just keep walking until you see the green gates of the hostel. Slowly we walked down the stairs staring at the pool that is totally surrounded with the lush vegetation and small restaurant. After getting introduced to our options, we took dorm beds for the price of 120 lempira, which is totally fine. There was also an option for camping for 50 lempira per person, or to stay in double bed room for 150 pp. Double rooms were super cramped and small, so two 2m guys did not stand the chance of sleeping there…

Dorm fits four people in single beds, and it has screens on the windows and good fans if it gets too warm during the night. Two bathrooms with warm shower make sure that you will be clean and happy, and you even get a clean towel. Pool is clean and you can use it any time, but it was a bit too cold for me. Small restaurant is a part of the brewery, they make many good plates and serve 5 or 6 kinds of fresh made beer. My favorite was dark strong porter, but they also have few pale beers, and some fruit beer combinations. There is nice fireplace and bunch of hammocks surrounding it, and I see that fire as something that is really needed during the time mosquitoes are active…

One of the nice things about this place is their care for the nature and wish to explore the lake area. Mountains and hills surrounding the lake are sparsely populated with native tribes, and small villages are not always connected by the road. Hostel has many maps all over restaurant walls, and lists of the places that should be visited. Actually they are trying to promote and explore this region surrounding the Lago Yojoa. Resident tracker Josh is constantly on the hunt for new waterfalls, caves, tracks, and general beautiful natural places in the area. People that live around the lake know for many sites that are not visited and hard to get to, and Josh, who is one of the volunteers that run with famous Quetzaltrackers in Guatemala already set few new hikes.

We stayed in the hostel for couple of days and went to the waterfall and caves in the area. Transportation is very cheap and easy and next to the regular chicken buses and vans you can also hitchhike to most of the places around. This place is recommended for someone who wants to hike almost untouched highlands of Honduras and enjoy is good base camp.
Hostel pool, small but perfectly f…
Daily excursions
idontfitinabox idontfit…
A Micro Oasis Jan 15, 2012
I found D & D a good find although I have to say, if you don't know the area you'll have a job finding it.

Dave the owner was courteous and very welcoming. We traveled up from Tegucigalpa on the Friday night having made the booking on the way.

TIP: Arriving after dark in Honduras can be a bit of an issue as not everywhere has adequate lighting and asking directions late at night is not always advisable.

We struggled to find the hotel so camped down in nearby Hotel Brisas del Lago (review to follow). Having arisen from a good nights sleep, we went in search of D & D and had to ask for directions a few times before we found it.

We explained to Dave that we were supposed to arrive last night and was unable to get through on the phone so stayed at another hotel.

He invited us to stay and whilst deciding, we were offered samples of the micro brewery beer. Unfortunately I'm not a great fan of hops so did not like any of them.

Beer aside we hot footed it back to our pit stop, collected our bags and checked into D & D.

The food here comes recommended and so I tried the somewhat famous (locally) burger. I have to say when the correct ingredients are used food taste wonderful.

I take my hat of to these guys the burger was the best I've had and that's saying something as I rarely get impressed by food.

The accommodation was clean and tidy, a large shower, hot water and ample space to unpack. The power died a death at around 8pm but this was quickly sorted within minutes.

Whatever the problem was it was rectified so quickly that when we came out for drinks, I never bothered to ask what had happened.

The night security was visible and maintained a patrol periodically thereby making you feel safe. The grounds here are impressive and the cabins are move than adequate.

The kitchen closes promptly at 8pm so don't make my mistake and come afterwards, as you'll be given short shift. Instead I was offered Vanilla cake which I accompanied with a glass or two of vino.

The bar is well stocked, books, video and board games were available although I tried none of the above.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and wanted to stay longer. The only issue is that there is no signage to get there. Apparently the owner paid good money for signs, which were subsequently stolen as they were made from valuable metal. Only in Honduras eh!

Whats an owner to do..... Since that's the only negative I have to say please don't let that stop you from making a booking.

Ensure you arrive mid afternoon so you can get directions from the staff. Sit back and enjoy Dave's oasis. Another great find and highly recommended.
D & D
The Lane leading to D & D
Signage from the road
Stairs down to the pool
shmodzilla shmodzil…
My kind of place! Jul 02, 2012
First thing to be clear on and I saw it mentioned already. If you are a leery traveler I'd suggest something different than this whole area. Just getting to the town isn't a easy task. We used the Tica bus transit and had to be let off in a nearby town, catch another extremely sketchy bus to get to the town closest to D&D then to D&D. I am very glad I was with another TB,not for fear of danger just for another mind to keep on track.The taxis in town all know where D&D is ,about 2 miles out so you'll want one.

Now once you are there it's fun time. The owner and staff are great. It recently came under new ownership so a older review may not be as accurate. I loved the setting, right in the woods, hummingbirds everywhere. The beer was great, micro brew just the way I like it. The food was also great, not amazing but definitely good. My only gripe was the staff was on typical central american time. The kitchen is supposed to open at 7 wich means about 7:15 they start to show up and at 8 you can finally get coffee and food. Being that the area is a giant bird sanctuary you want to be gone by then so that was my only annoyance. At night even though there is a close time if a few of us were out there having beers somebody stayed to serve us.

The beds were fine, the area quiet and I slept great. The showers were ok but not a big deal, at least they were suicide showers and gave out hot water wich is more than I got many places.

A HUGE added benefit is he not only filters and treats ALL the water so it's safe ,he will fill your water bottles as often as you want which saves a lot.

I'd go back in a heartbeat !
Bird sanctuary
Falls nearby, requires a bus ride.…
Nearby bird sanctuary, walking dis…
Falls again