Curry Kebob House

(631) 654-5400

Curry Kebob House Patchogue Reviews

callmechia callmech…
Curry Kebob in da house! Sep 05, 2009
When I came on here to write this review, I searched the internet for its address and phone number. I was SHOCKED to find that a couple of people in the anglophonic world had actually written some comments about this place. It truly looks like the kind of neighborhood joint where only Indians eat, and anybody of another ethnicity would feel out of place. Honestly the storefront was so unassuming it freaked me out a little; plus, it's in kind of a run-down strip mall in not such a great area. BUT I sucked it up and went in anyway - I'm so glad I did!

The interior of the place is actually pretty cute; they have Indian TV playing by what is (ostensibly) a bar, yet they don't advertise alcohol on the menu. The staff is Muslim and they had signs to welcome their Muslim customers during the month of Ramadan (which is when we ate here), so I believe that they purposely do not advertise the availability of their alcohol.

While we're on the subject of staff, the service was really good. Whereas I was a little sketched out by the place, I felt at home right away. Our waiter was extremely polite and respected our wishes for spicy food (he didn't try to bland it down for us on the assumption that we couldn't handle spice, which is a problem I often have in Indian restaurants).

Now for the food. Bottom line: it was very good. For the money, I honestly don't believe you can find better Indian on the Island. While its main rival, the nearby Curry Club, is tasty, it's not the best I've ever had and is significantly more expensive than this place. Curry Kebob boasts both lunch and dinner buffets (which are becoming increasingly rare) for $9.99 and $12.99 respectively). This is a pretty dang good deal for Indian, and if the buffet is anything like the a-la-carte dishes, I'm sold.

We split a vegetable samosa which I didn't really like; the situation was soon remedied when we were presented with our dishes Lamb Rogan Josh, and Keema Muttar. Both were spiced as we had requested and were very tasty. The nan was also fresh out of the oven and delicious.

Cons: Apart from the weird alcohol situation, the veggie samosas were a little disappointing, I will try the pakora or some other app next time. Also they did not provide the obligatory 3 table sauces; they had their own (red) sauce which I found somewhat flavorless. They also serve a salad with dressing that looks like green goddess, but tastes like really spicy mayonnaise. If you don't like spicy, don't eat that dressing!

I will definitely try this place again, and I recommend it to anyone looking for tasty (and not exorbitantly expensive) Indian food. Don't let the storefront turn you off, it's really quite good food and the service was excellent. I'll be going back to Curry Kebob House the next time I'm in the Patchogue area.
The interior of the restaurant.
The (somewhat sketchy) storefront.

Check Patchogue Hotel Deals