Currency exchange in Italy

Currency exchange in Italy - Bank business

Currency exchange in Italy Erice Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Bureaucracy gone bad Aug 01, 2016
I went on a mission to exchange some US dollars to Euro in the city of Trapani. Three separate banks refused service, one telling me "Does not connect" and with a shrug said "Tomorrow". I have no idea what that means, and left with no exchange. I thought perhaps this was just something peculiar to Sicily, but later in the trip while in Bolsena, Italy, service was also refused at several banks. An Italian friend accompanying me tried to explain something about the bureaucracy in Italy and how the government keeps track of peoples money. It all has to be accounted for, even your own money, and what you spend. I had a bit of trouble following the convoluted procedures my friend tried to explain, but gathered they were rather complex and intrusive in peoples lives. Apparently this bureaucracy gone bad has something to do with many banks not exchanging foreign currency anymore.

Back in the day a decade or so ago, it was fairly easy to exchange currency in Italy, but not anymore apparently. One can get money from machines fairly easily, so better to do that. There are exchange kiosks in cities, but the exchange rates are rather poor, so if you want to carry cash, better to get it from your own bank before going to Italy. Otherwise just use bank machines exclusively and don't bother trying to exchange currency at a bank. If you want to give it a try - good luck!
Bank business
spocklogic says:
Remember the days before the Euro too when we had to change currency for each country in Europe. Even then seemed easier than today.
Posted on: Feb 21, 2017
Cho says:
I had similar problems during my recent trip to Guatemala exchanging US dollars into Guatemalan quetzals. No problems in Italy because I was living in France at that time and we had a common currency, the Euro.
Posted on: Feb 21, 2017
spocklogic says:
My Italian colleague and friend says the bureaucracy there gets worse all the time and is very intrusive. He cites this as part of part of the problem with Italy's economic troubles and inefficiency of services.
Posted on: Jan 21, 2017