Curral Das Freiras

Madeira, Portugal

Curral Das Freiras Madeira Reviews

hujera hujera
A beautiful walk to the 'Valley of Nuns' Dec 09, 2012
This beautiful walk starts from a mountain peak Eira do Serrado with a viewpoint platform, after a bus from Funchal brings you up to a car park about 200 metres far from the platform. The platform itself is in the altitude of 1053 metres.

After you enjoy the breathtaking views into the valley (it is unique, that the valley looks a little bit like a volcano cone, but it has never been a separate volcano in the past), you start a steep walk down to the valley. A good pair of shoes is recommended for the purpose. In the past this was actually only accessible way to the valley, either on foot or with a donkey.

Why is the area called like this? The righteous nuns from Funchal (the capital of the island) monastery were attacked by unscrupulous French pirates (all the French will forgive me, I hope so :-) ), so these poor beings must have found their asylum in the valley as a protection for their safety.

If I walked down, I stopped about in the middle of the way on a rock with a view and found, that small animals - lizards - were interested in my biscuits. I shared with them my food and even they weren't scared to collect it from my hand, marvelous...

If you come down to the valley, you can have a rest in a cafe there and enjoy local deli - products from chestnuts, which are made in there. I tried chestnut soup and chestnut liquor, there's also chestnut cake available.

Don't miss this place, if you're in Madeira. There's a good connection from Funchal by local buses - the curves are also a good experience - beautiful...
Curral das Freiras (Valley of nuns)
Viewpoint platform from Eira do Se…
MalenaN says:
Yes, it absolutly looks worth a visit! I am going to Madeira for a week later this year and hope to visit Curral das Freiras while I am there.
Posted on: Feb 22, 2017