Cumberland Island National Shores Museum

912-882-4336

Cumberland Island National Shores Museum Saint Marys Reviews

Cho Cho
Quaint little museum in downtown St. Marys Aug 14, 2013
Cumberland Island is Georgia's largest and southermost barrier island. It can be reached by the Island Ferry from the dock of the St. Marys waterfront, but when we got there the last ferry had already left. However, as consolation, we got to visit the Cumberland Island Museum which is located near the docks in the center of the town. The staff at the entrance was very friendly, and I spent nearly an hour inside the air conditioned museum which was a welcome respite from the summer heat outside.

Exhibits at this museum focus on the island's natural and cultural history. Many original furnishings, artifacts and objects are on display, including uniforms worn in the War of 1812. As I like to learn about History I found all the exhibits quite interesting. In fact, I was the only visitor there at that time, although another couple came in just when I was leaving.

The receptionist asked me to sign the Guest Book which I did so willingly. When she saw my entry she was very much surprised and asked me many questions about Myanmar, particularly about Buddhism. It seemed she was interested because one of her co-workers had recently converted to Buddhism. I really didn't want to go in too deep about religion but I tried to explain as much as I could.

The town of St. Marys (referred to as the Gateway to Cumberland Island) was our last stop in Georgia before heading back home so we toured the downtown historic district and saw some of the Victoria inns, antebellum mansions, old churches and charming houses. There is also a Submarine Museum near the harbor which is supposed to be the fifth largest submarine museum in the country.
Sign near museum entrance
Entrance door
Old photo of Dungeness Mansion bui…

Check Saint Marys Hotel Deals