Culver's ButterBurgers and Frozen Custard

2065 Old Hudson Road, Saint Paul, MN, USA - 651-735-0444

Culver's ButterBurgers and Frozen Custard Saint Paul Reviews

jeffsanfran jeffsanf…
Fast Food (What the heck is a ButterBurger?) Jan 03, 2011
My buddy Matt takes his son to Culver's almost every Monday night before they go swimming at the Y. I decided to join them. There's a big sign outside (Culver's ButterBurgers and Frozen Custard). What the heck is a ButterBurger?

Culver's is a fast food chain located in the midwest, but with nicer seating than a regular fast food joint.

I stepped up to the counter, ordered a ButterBurger (with bacon and cheese), cheese curds (not familiar with those either), Culver's own root beer and a frozen custard (I figured, I never had a frozen custard; why not go three for three).

It was about $16 for all of us to eat. Matt got the same thing I ordered and his son ordered a kid's meal (which comes with a "token" for either a frozen custard sundae or the option to save ten "tokens" for a prize).

The food comes to your table pretty quickly. Are you supposed to tip servers who bring fast food to your table?

OK, I get why they call it a ButterBurger. There is a crust around the burger patty that tells me they cook the burger in butter. It's actually pretty good! You can taste the richness of the butter in the burger (probably not something I want to eat too often). The house root beer is good as well. Matt is a root beer aficionado and says Culver's and 1919 root beer are the only ones he'll drink. Cheese curds aren't bad. They're breaded little bits of yellow and white cheese that are fried and a little too salty for my taste. Matt says they're not as good as the one's you'll find at the Minnesota State Fair (I choose to believe him). The frozen custard (which wikipedia says is ice cream made with eggs) is good too. There are three flavors to choose from: vanilla, chocolate or the flavor of the day. I went with the special which was Eggnog Brittle. You can taste the nog (rum flavor) in the ice cream, which had nice little bits of brittle to crunch on.

I'd go again.
Cheese curds! I couldn't finish t…

Check Saint Paul Hotel Deals