Cuisine From The Philippines

Cuisine From The Philippines - pinakbet

Cuisine From The Philippines Reviews

lauro lauro
Dec 07, 2007
in the philippines, a day is not complete if we dont eat 3x a day, make it 4 for the afternoon "merienda" or snack.

my country is diverse and cosmopolitan since it was conquered by the spanish, americans and the japanese - a mixture of the old world, the new world and eastern asian. when it comes to our cuisine, its one of the finest in asia, since my country is located in the tropics, there are lots of native vegetables and fruits and most of all spices. since before our colonization, chinese and indonesian traders are all over the country, bringing with them their influences in their extraordinary and delicious cuisines. hence, it is a wild mix from different influences but still retaining what is distinctive pilipino.

i will write a review of my favorite pilipino cuisines, which i missed since living here in europe, for these are the yummiest for me :D

pinakbet comes from the northen part of the philippines in the ilocos region, it is made from the vegetables "ampalaya" (bitter melon), okra, garlic, onions, eggplant, string beans and squash, pork meat with a little fat and "bagoong" or fermented bonnet fish.

relyenong bangus

bangus is the national fish of the philippines, it is one of thr symbols of the country, in english it is known as the milkfish. the fish is stuffed with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and green peas then grilled in charcoal.

one of my favorites, you can choose between - prawns, pork or beef for the meat, but i prefer pork better. the soup is from the washed water of rice with "gabi" (taro), "labanos" (horse radish) and onions as vetgables then the soup is made soured by "sampalok" (tamarind) and a dip of "patis" or fermented fish sauce.

pancit canton

one of the chinese influences in the pilipino cuisine, wheat noodles with mixed vegetables friend in seasame oil and simmered in crusehd fried chickens liver, oyster and soy sauce.

this soup is entirely pure pilipino taste - it originated in the central visayan province of iloilo - my mom's hometoen and since i was a kid, she's feeding me with this noodle soup hahaha. the broth is made from pig's and beef's bones. with chicken meat and chicken liver, some spring onions, and the soup is topped with chicharon (fried pork skin) and fresh egg.
relyenong bangus
texas_cutie75 says:
looks delicious!
Posted on: Dec 17, 2007
Dolphintrekker says:
I am soooo looking forward eating 4x a day ( actually, 5x - 6x a day) when I visit in February. I am especially excited for the "street foods" like balut, penoy, dirty ice cream, banana-que, kamote-que . . . if you can't tell already, I have a hanckering for sweets.
Posted on: Dec 15, 2007
ErnaButterfly says:
yeah, why no Adobo? thats the first Filipino dish I tried n I like it..
Had the Lucky Mee pancit canton last night with quail eggs, nice.Dont have it here, had to order from anyone going back to Phillipines..
Posted on: Dec 12, 2007