Cueva de Nerja

loripori loripori
Nerja Caves Feb 06, 2017
CUEVA DE NERJA

Wednesday, March 21, 2001

While in Nerja, a must see activity is to visit the CUEVA DE NERJA the Nerja Caves, a 3000 years old cave with colossal Stalactites. Hans and I thoroughly enjoyed going through the caves. At the time the entrance fee was 800 pesetas or $7.20 CDN.

Among its most outstanding features is a column of 32 metres in height made up of one billion drops of water.

Discovered in 1959, when five youngsters from Nerja and Maro stumbled upon it while on a nocturnal adventure hunting bats, Nerja Cave is considered to be one of the most beautiful in Europe.

There is a total of 4,283 metres of caves, of which only a third are open to the public. For the moment, you are only allowed to enter the areas called Galerias Bajas (the lower galleries), known for their high vaulted ceilings and beautiful formations of stalactites and stalagmites

One of the most spectacular caverns is the one known as the Cataclysm, an area on which Palaeolithic cave paintings (symbols and animals) can be seen.

As it was so dark inside the caves, it was next to impossible to take any decent photos.

Wednesday, March 21, 2001

We had heard that the upcoming place to be was NERJA , a beautiful, genuinely Spanish small town, with a population of about 20,000.

Built on a ledge, it offers a splendid view of the dramatic mountain range Sierra Almijara and varied surroundings so typical of the area.

Also not far from the town are the Nerja Caves or Cueva de Nerja - very much worth visiting.

Nerja was called Narixa -- rich with water -- and exotic fruits such as chirimoya, kiwi and avocado are grown here.

Known as the "Balcony of Europe" Nerja is located 52 kilometres east of Malaga.

Update: Saturday, January 26, 2008

Revisited Nerja, this time with our good friends Carmen, Stace, Sandra and Isa. While there we visited with Placido, a good friend of theirs who lives in Nerja.

Update: Friday, February 22,2013

Nerja was our first stop on a Bus Tour organized from our Hotel Bajondillo. There was about 40 of us, including Hans and I. Our bus drove to the parking area of the Nerja Caves, where we got off and headed into the restaurant there. Most of us had a cup of coffee, sitting at the back which had wonderful panoramic views of the Mediterranean.
Balcon De Europa
Church of El Salvador
Cueva de Nerja
Jo104 says:
Sounds like batman begins Lori :) those caves were found by accident
Posted on: Feb 06, 2017
travelcanuck travelca…
Cueva de Nerja will amaze you! Jun 13, 2011
Nerja is located on Spain's southern Mediterranean coast, about 50 km east of Málaga (45 minutes) .Besides the beautiful beaches in Nerja, the caves of Nerja is a must!!!! I have seen many caves during my travels but nothing and I mean nothing such as this. The huge caverns stretch for almost five kilometres and their origin dates back millions of years ago. I felt like I was in a movie, it was completely mystical. It really is nature at it's core. The cost is 8.50 euros for adults. It takes about one hour to complete but you can take as long as you want of course. Make sure your flash is off on your camera because I warn you that you will get screamed at. CUEVA DE NERJA IS A MUST!!!!
Nerja Caves
Nerja Caves
markoliver11 markoliv…
Typical tourist Trap Jun 14, 2011
This probably the first time exploring a cave, and I was excited-- however-- I was disappointed... there were no long tunnels with under ground water pools and bats-- but rather they lit the whole cave up with lights and it was only roughly 4 very large Tunnels.

Still it was a good experience!
alitoronto alitoron…
A must see overwhelming cave Jul 23, 2008
It is the biggest cave I've ever been in and it was only discovered in 1959.

Having even a natural concert amphitheatre inside, it is the home of world's biggest column measuring over 13 m at the base and standing 32 m high(according to the Guinness Book of Record)

Related Travel Blogs About Cueva de Nerja

The Skiing Resort Fell Out of the Ugly Tree
There are a number cool places to visit within a few miles of the town including the famous caves at Maro (Cueva de Nerja) and the lovely quaint village of Frigiliana, both of which are must visit …Cueva de Nerja) and the lovely quaint village of Frigiliana, both of which are must visit places.  Further…

Check Nerja Hotel Deals