Cuartel de Moncada

(022) 620157

Cuartel de Moncada Santiago de Cuba Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Moncada Barracks Oct 05, 2017
The Moncada Barracks was a military barracks made famous by the 26 July 1959 revolution led by Fidel Castro and Raul Castro together with a small group of revolutionaries.

This was the 2nd largest military barracks in Cuba and therefore ideal on a tactical point of view for an attack.

This building is now partly a museum and partly a school, it was converted into a school in 1960. To find an entrance to this building was quite tricky and we had to walk the whole round under this scorching heat of 38 degrees to find the entrance gate.

Entrance fee was CUC4 (equivalent to EUR4) per person. As with most museums in Cuba, you have to pay CUC5 extra if you want to take pictures but we never did pay extra. The place is fully air conditioned, thank heavens!

We were the only foreign tourists, the rest are locals.

I must say the museums in Santiago de Cuba are the best outside of Havana. Very well done, detailed display of the 26 July movement. So it serves as a fresher of the history lesson (not that I had to learn Cuban history in school, I read about the revolution in my own free time).

So a must see for revolutionary aficionados and when in Santiago de Cuba.

Check Santiago de Cuba Hotel Deals