Crystal Cruises

Check Fort Lauderdale Hotel Deals

Crystal Cruises Fort Lauderdale Reviews

ntxmerman ntxmerman
The Ultimate Cruising Experience Sep 13, 2010
Crystal is by far the best of the large cruise lines in the world, if not the least known. There is a reason for that. The best doesn't need to advertise to the masses. They don't intend to appeal to the masses who want the cheapest deal they can find. Here is an example.

Royal Caribbean is a four star cruise line. Celebrity is a 5.5 star cruise line owned by Royal Caribbean. Crystal is a 6 star cruise line. I have traveled on Crystal and later on Celebrity when I wanted to save a little money. Actually, Crystal is about twice as expensive as Celebrity, so I saved a lot. I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the last half star, and it is strikingly obvious. Let me give you an example.

On Celebrity, anytime you want a beverage other than water or iced tea, you have to give your ship card to a waiter so that they can charge it to your room. Furthermore, you don’t really even get a choice of beverages. I think that Celebrity had Pepsi and definitely not Dr. Pepper which is my preference. That is not luxury. That is just plain stupid. Following is my Dr. Pepper story from my first day on Crystal.

Upon getting settled into our stateroom (meaning it had a veranda - that would be a balcony for those of you from Oak Cliff), the stewardess asked if we wanted anything else. She was a delightful young lady who was married and serving aboard the Harmony for six months so that she could raise some money and return home to eastern Europe. We will call her Svetlana. Svetlana had never heard of Dr. Pepper, but she asked about it, and was determined to get me what I wanted.

Most people don’t know this, but Crystal has experts on a variety of subjects that travel on the ship and give lectures about the history, flora, fauna, etc. of the destinations we reach. One such expert on this particular cruise was a PhD named Pepper. No joke. His name tag was printed “Dr. Pepper.”

About an hour after Svetlana left, there was a knock at the door. I open it to see a middle aged man with a beard who stated, “I’m Dr. Pepper. I understand you asked for me.” I looked at the guy’s name tag, and busted a gut laughing. I was very embarrassed and had to explain to Dr. Pepper that what I really wanted was a beverage and not a biologist. He was very cool about the whole thing.

When the stewardess brought me cheese and crackers and wine and shrimp cocktail for an appetizer as we were preparing for the formal dinner, I explained to Svetlana that Dr. Pepper is a beverage, but thanked her sincerely for her efforts in finding Dr. Pepper and summoning him for me.

Later that day upon returning after dinner, I opened the door to the fridge and found a six pack of Dr. Pepper there. Furthermore, every time she came into the room (about three times a day) she restocked the fridge with my favorite things. I never had to ask. Furthermore, she never asked me for my ship card to charge me.

That, my friends, is 6 star service. 5.5 star service is good, but that extra half star means a whole lot.

Yes, I have several photos of Dr. Pepper and even a close up of his name tag. I had to do that to prove to my friends back home that the story was true. After I learn how to put photos in the blog, I will post a couple of Dr. Pepper including the name tag.
That is Dr. Pepper. Check out the …
This is the Crystal Harmony.

Check Fort Lauderdale Hotel Deals