Crete Island

Crete Island - Creataquairium in Gournes

Crete Island Reviews

Caliber-A Caliber-A
Not Just an Island, but a Home to Minoan Civilization Oct 02, 2012
I'm writing this entry to complete my list of the (10) ten Greek islands that I've visited - the Crete Island. Crete is a very large island. Actually, it is the biggest in Greece and is the fifth in Mediterranean sea. Among other things, Crete is famous tourist destination not only because of soft sandy beaches and beautiful coves but also because of its rich historical values, another plus factor for history fanatics.

Among its gorgeous places, I've only had a chance to see Knossos, Heraklion and Gournes.

Knossos is said to be the center of Minoan civilization - the first civilization in Europe, and it's quite amazing to see and stand before the ruins of the Knossos Palace. The ruins of the palace looks like a huge maze of different rooms and living spaces. Be ready with your wild imagination, as you see some of those images still painted on the wall - images that were clear pictures of Cretan life on that era.

Heraklion on the other hand has some splendored things to offer. It's wide streets are well aligned with Byzantine inspired architecture. Be amazed with shops, boutiques and bars scattered along the 25th of August street.

Gournes is a quiet town some 15 km east of Heraklion. It is home to rattling beaches. But unfortunately, I didn't go there for beach bumming but I've visited the previous American base which is now turned into a marine museum. If you are fond of marine lives, don't miss to go there and see those more than 200 marine species (check my separate review on this).

Well, the aforementioned are just among those that I remember. You may want to visit my CRETE BLOG for some stories and tons of interesting photos. But above all, Crete is a place you wouldn't miss during your stay in Greece.
splendid island of Crete
Knossos Palace Knossos
Creataquairium in Gournes
yacht port at Heraklion
fasatos fasatos
Crete Island Mar 16, 2011
higly reccomented for people who plan to visit Crete Island in Greece...there many tips on this site and a really great reservation system with 170 hotels in there ...i have use it many times in my travels to Crete and help to find really cheap accomodations in high periods

Related Travel Blogs About Crete Island

Payed 'holiday'
In febr/March 2006 i (Dennis) spent 4 weeks on the island of Crete for work. As my work as a 'military' police officer we supported the dutch Airfprce on there exercise on the greek island. Ofco…island of Crete for work. As my work as a 'military' police officer we supported the dutch Airfprce…
A sun-kissed Greek holiday
It is a mystery to some why my first ever visit to Greece came at such a late stage in the game, and was preceded by travel experiences to a whole host of other less conventional and more outlandi…island from a whole cluster of them, and figuring out that, with Crete being the largest Greek island, it would…
Greek Island Hopping
One of my all time favourite places in the world is Greece, more specifically the Greek Islands. I have been there twice and hope to be there many more times. My first stop was the country’s larges…islandCrete . It was the center of Europe ’s most ancient civilization, the Minoan. I visited the famous Minoan…

Check Crete Hotel Deals