Craters-Moon National Monument

(208) 527-1300

Craters-Moon National Monument Craters of the Moon National Monument Reviews

kayguarnay kayguarn…
The landscape unlike any other Dec 06, 2014
I drove on a whim to the Craters of The Moon Monument today. It was a 4 hour drive from Salt Lake CIty, and appeared green and inviting on the google maps.

The drive from Salt Lake is straight, flat, but anything but boring. You'll come across some of the most spectacular clouds and hills combinations, and lots of livestock and "Game crossings" once get off the interstate. When approaching the monument, it sort of sneaks up on you. You drive into the ranger station first, and are surrounded by crunchy lava flows.

Because there was limited daylight left, I sped through the Ampitheatre loop, looked at the North Lava Flow crater, and then drove onwards to see the other side of the valley.

I think this place changes by the minute, and would be amazing to see in any season. This time around it was the dark black lava in contrast with the interspersed snowbanks. The ranger at the station, Leslie, told me that if I drove left out of the monument, 15 miles down the road I will come to an area where there is a natural hot spring-- unmarked, and unseen from the road. I saw the turn off for the spring, but unfortunately missed it. I think it would've been worth a stop except that it was already getting very dark.

In general, this is a very unique national park that is worth a visit. It's surreal to "crunch" around on the light igneous rock and see the lava flow formations. If I had a bit more daylight left, I would've definitely climbed the crater!
camwilde camwilde
Craters of the Moon National Monument Mar 05, 2013
After visiting my brother in Pocatello, Idaho, we took a detour on the way back to Oregon to visit Craters of the Moon. As we were driving there, my wife was less than impressed. We were driving through desert and she figured it would be similar, but as we approached, the landscape changed.

This monument is the result of volcanic flows in the past. It has a very interesting landscape, including volcanic cones, barren landscapes, caves, craters, and some fields of flowers. The eruptions happen every 2000 years or so and we are due for another one soon.

It is great for an afternoon visit and to learn about how volcanic activity impacts the environment around it.
Getting a Junior Ranger
Devils Orchard
Fields of flowers (only there a co…
Inferno Cone
esterrene esterrene
Craters of the Moon Nov 04, 2010
Craters of the Moon is one of the most interesting landscapes in America and well worth a trip!! It is a fantastic place to visit either alone, with friends or a family.

Located in present day South Eastern Idaho along Hwy 26. about 1.5 hrs from Idaho Falls and maybe 2 hrs north of Twin Falls..

The park has an amazing geological history dating back thousands and thousands of years!!

The origins of the park began with a rift in the earth's crust allowing magma to spew into the open and thus creating fields of basalt lava rocks varying in texture and color.. The information center, open from 8 Am to 4:30 pm, has an interesting display explaining how the park was formed and some local history of early pioneers and Native American communities.

The cost was $8 for a non recreational vehicles to enter and the park is open 24/7 ALL year round!!. Snow may prevent some vehicle access, but you can still enter with snowshoes and enjoying a wintery day of play!

Plenty to see and do. Caves, Tunnels, hiking trails,Tree Molds, wildlife and a camping site. There are free maps for visitors indicating the trails and providing educational information about the park and its unique history.

For additional information about the park you can visit the link below.

If your planning a visit to Yellowstone you can easily take a day to visit this park, its only a few hours away.
Tree Mold
Pahoehoe Lava
Inferno Cone
Basalt Lava rock
Mark184 says:
I little like Iceland!
Posted on: Nov 11, 2010
nicolecarp says:
:D I was all excited and then I didn't know where to find it. Haha, I used the nps.gov site. I may have to go there next year and see if I can squeeze Yellowstone into it too..ideas to ponder!
Posted on: Nov 10, 2010
esterrene says:
LOL good question!! i;ll have to update that!

Its locate in South Eastern Idaho about 70 miles from idaho falls along Hwy 26
Posted on: Nov 10, 2010
X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 29, 2007
Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve is operated by the National Park Service. Camping sites are available, a Visitor Center and a 7 mile loop you can drive through an amazing landscape made up of volcanic lava flows, cinder cones and sagebrush. This is a huge area, well over 1,000 square miles.

Today, well east of this area is Yellowstone National Park and the very volcanic and thermal active landscape. But if you had been able to look back over thousands of years you would have seen that the active area was here under the area now known as Craters of the Moon. Very slowly over the years the volcanic area has moved east and slightly north.

So now, here is a gigantic area covered in some of the most unusual landscape you will ever see. Right on the surface are cinder cones, lava flows and plenty of lava stones from large segments which stand more than ten feet tall to small sand style areas.

The area is at the 6,000 foot level so in winter it is sometimes covered in snow. Naturally, there was none there during the summer while we were there. But there also was no shade either, and no animals or birds. This area requires you take along plenty of water.

And thanks for stopping by and smiling and commenting, and making this a featured review! :)
dashforcover says:
Two summers ago, I asked my sweetie to go there. We did some wandering and had a picnic in the "park" in one of the only spots with shade. The scenery is amazing. Conspiracy theorists suggest the moon landings were filmed there, but anyone who sees it can tell that's not the case. Not enough dust anywhere. We climbed the high ash cone and met a couple from Britain halfway up (they were halfway down). The view was amazing.
Just be sure you stay on approved paths. There are dangerous areas in which you could bet killed ... or worse.
WaltJake says:
I visited this place with my friend Lee on my first cross country trip 10 years ago. We were there on a weekday morning when no one else was around, and we were amazed at how deathly quiet it was! No birds, bugs, animals, crickets chirping, NOTHING! Not even wind! Like a total vacuum of sound, if you held your breath and closed your eyes, you couldn't hear a thing! It was cool, but kinda creepy at the same time! Definately worth a visit when passing through Idaho.
oldschoolbill says:
Another place to add to my list. There just doesn't seen to be enought time to see everything in person. It is great to at least see & hear about the places you have not gotten to yet. More time we all need more time!

Related Travel Blogs About Craters-Moon National Monument

Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument
Our next stop was the “Craters of the Moon National Monument”.  This entire southern part of the state is covered with lava from the volcanoes that used to be very active.  Of course th…Craters of the Moon National Monument ”.   This entire southern part of the state is covered…
Planning the trip
I'm going to the meet-up in Yellowstone NP, I decided to fly to Seattle and then make a roadtrip to Yellowstone and back after the meet-up. I would like to visit some of the other NP's in the area. I…Craters of the Moon National Monument - Boise 25 may Boise - Crater Lake National Park…
Craters of the Moon
I-20 in Idaho is a long and empty road with little to look at.  Partway through the state, I came upon three large buttes sticking up on the landscape - finally something to break up the flat co…Craters of the Moon National Monument - described by President Calvin Coolidge as "a wierd and scenic…
Craters-Moon National Monument Map