Court Garden Hotel

Court Garden Hotel Rates and Deals

Court Garden Hotel The Hague Reviews

planxty planxty
Great hotel with a great ethos. Apr 07, 2017
I arrived in Den Haag by train and, having totally lost myself via a very decent little bar which is the subject of a separate review here, discovered that I was a long, long way from where I wanted to be and that was the Court Garden Hotel. As described in my main journal entry, the required taxi deposited me at the door of what looked to be a fairly modern building on Laan van Meerdervoort where I was checked in promptly and courteously by a charming young lady who had perfect English. I was directed to Room 106, which was on the first floor obviously and to the rear so road noise was never going to be a problem although, in truth, when I walked the road outside in the evening it did not seem that busy anyway.

The room was unremarkable and I may as well have been in New York or London but it was well-appointed with a large flat screen TV, complete with various satellite channels including quite a few in English (BBC News, NatGeo, Discovery etc.) and also a cooking channel I did not know called 24 Kitchen which became my default station as I could watch cooking programmes all day.

The en-suite bathroom was a walk in shower (piping hot water at a good pressure all day) but no bath, and the whole room was spotlessly cleaned and exactly what I would have expected from a premises in this price range. There is a wifi connnection which is super fast and any amount of power sockets so you can charge up all your kit.

A dear friend of mine is involved in marketing and she speaks (as obviously do others) of the "Unique Selling Point" (USP) of any given business or product. In the case of the Court Garden it is a "green" and eco-friendly approach to things and it would seem that this is not merely a gimmick as they use solar panels, they have recycle bins on every floor and so on. Had I not read this online beforehand I would never have known as it was just a typically business style hotel and I suppose there must be a moral in there somewhere. You don't need to compromise comfort or facilities in order to do the right thing by the planet. I am as keen as the next man to do my bit for the rock we live on and the people thereon and whilst the "green" thing is a marketing ploy as well as a conscious choice for them, I did actully feel slightly good about having chosen it over a couple of other similarly priced and equipped other hotels. If ecological matters are of great concern to the reader then this is definitely first pick in town.

The "green" / eco ethos extends to the breakfast which I believe is the only meal offered as I certainly did not see a formal restaurant and the kitchen in the breakfast room (located in the basement) would not have been up to the task. It is the usual continental affair featuring bread, cheese, cold cuts, fruit, juice, tea and coffee etc.

Breakfast is a meal I rarely take but there were no tea / coffee making facilities in the room and I do like a coffee in the morning so I just headed down for that as breakfast was included in my room price anyway (walk-up price is €12:50) but it looked so good that I took into it and very good it was too. I had a large bowl of very fresh fruit with yoghurt, coffee, fruit juice (plenty of variety including an interesting apple and ginger which I had never had before) and then a hot plate of scrambled eggs, frankfurter sausages and a rather bizarre offering of chickpeas and sweetcorn. The veg. selection got even stranger the day I left and it all seems to change daily but I have never seen carrots and sweetcorn for breakfast before. The scrambled eggs seem to be constant but on the Monday the frankfurters had been replaced by what I know as spinakopitta from my time in Cypris i.e. pastries filled with spinach and goat's cheese. Very tasty they were too.

As I say, they really do take the eco gig very seriously here and all the food was organic or home-made and FairTrade featured heavily in the hot beverages. They aren't messing about with this and I have to say it results in a very pleasant product. People that know me will find it literally incredible that I a) actually got up early enough for breakfast when I did not have to and b) took the meal twice in a row. I genuinely cannot remember the last time it happened. I really should get back into the habit.

If you do want to partake breakfast is available 0700 - 1000 Monday to Saturday and 0800 - 1100 Sunday.

In summary then, Court Garden is an excellent hotel and must be highly recommended especially if you are into matters "green".
Court Garden Hotel, Den Haag.
Court Garden Hotel, Den Haag. A…
vicIII says:
Thanks for sharing your observations and memories, Fergy!
Posted on: May 04, 2017
planxty says:
John, regrettably no, remarkable for a Dutch hotel but I did have my emergency can of very cheap nasty "export" on standby in the room so that got a going over before heading to th bar for opening time.

Sarah, I know, outrageous behaviour isn't it? I am still pretty down generally but I seem to be existing on a far more "normal" level than I have been recently, whoever defines normality.

What next? You tell me as I have no idea. I have to get out of Rotterdam on Thursday morning as the hostel is booked out and I have no bloody clue what next. I could head down to Tongeren to see Jess and Johan and Korsty and Ade and then pop over to Aachen to see Tina and Simon but of course it is bloody Easter and getting a bed might be hard.

Paul still wants me to head down to St. Malo for a beer which might be a plan. I have half a crazy notion to just keep going South, I could get to Morocco in a couple of weeks but I'll need to do some laundry first! Whatever way, I'll try to keep this silly blog up although I am too far behind yet again.

In the same way that I have nothing to go home for any more I have no real reason to travel either, I am just doingit to stave off boredom looking at my own four walls. I am just wondering how far I cn get with a tiny "cabin legal" suitcase, one pair of boots and clothes packed for a four day trip. I could make this last months. I have nothing to do intil about July when I am off to Canada so anything could happen.
Posted on: Apr 11, 2017
johngayton says:
No beer on the breakfast buffet? You should have slated the place Fergy ;-HIC!
Posted on: Apr 11, 2017

Court Garden Hotel Overview

Court Garden Hotel Ecodesigned is the first sustainable hotel in the Hague. It has an official 'green declaration'. In the entire hotel sustainable materials and low-energy systems are used. Free fairtrade coffee and tea are available in the Coffee Corner. The comfortable rooms are modern, stylish and equipped with a flat-screen LED television with satellite stations, a laptop safe, spacious desk and free high-speed internet connection. Besides, all rooms have a private bathroom with shower, toilet and hair dryer.

Court Garden Hotel Amenities

• Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Disabled Accessible Rooms
  • Disabled Parking
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower