Country Link Trains

Country Link Trains Reviews

vix1 vix1
An experience I'm not planning to repeat!! Nov 10, 2012
So I decided that I would like to see some of the Australian countryside so thought that going by train would be the best way to do so I travelled from Melbourne to Brisbane via the Country Link service. I went economy class, but you can upgrade to first class and to the special sleeper carriages.

However, train travel in Australia, isn’t like any other country that I’ve been too, it’s not quick and it’s not cheap, but the service was packed! It takes 12-hours from Melbourne to Sydney (but the train got delayed so an extra 45-minutes was added on the trip). Then after an 8-hour break in Sydney it’s another 14-hours from Sydney to Brisbane.

You make a number of stops along the way to some of the smallest and most remote train stations I’ve ever seen and the sun setting and rising over some of these places is amazing. Not only is the service painfully slow but in economy but when the lights go out for sleeping as staff have to wake up passengers whose stops are coming up and are helping on newly arrived ones, you often get a torch, full on in the face – so I’d suggest taking an eye mask and ear plugs and if you want to get a fairly decent sleep then also take a little blanket and a pillow. As the trip is so long also take enough things to keep you occupied otherwise cabin fever is liable to set in. In this case it seemed to take the form of getting drunk, as a number of people in my carriage had done – and frankly I didn’t blame them, but they were then turffed off the train by staff at a random station called ‘Taree’ as you aren’t allowed to travel on the train intoxicated. Fair enough – you may think, however, there’s a bar on the train, that was serving these people, surely they should have stopped serving them if they were aware they were intoxicated and as there is only one service every 24-hours, I felt for them, goodness knows how they got home. I don’t know whether they learned their lesson, but I did – no more travelling Country Link for me!!
Sunrise aboard the Country Link tr…
Morning fog
Queensland sunrise
williamsworld williams…
Comfortable mode of transport May 29, 2011
Country Link trains are a really great barging for those looking for some economical, but efficient means of travel around Australia. For the most part, those coming from other countries can purchase 30 day and 6 month travel passes. I chose the Backtracker pass. These passes allow you unlimited travel on trains and coaches on the entire network including their interstate locations. When you book the pass, you have to reserve seats. You are allowed to upgrade to sleeper cars or first class for additional fees, but I found that the coach travel was just fine.

There are clean flush toilets, clean drinking water and a buffet cart on all the services. They serve a variety of cold and hot food on the trains at reasonable prices. Remember to get a tray, carry box, to put your drinks and food in as you can’t walk through the train without one. The entire experience on these trains is really pretty good. I would suggest that if you have some time and want to save some money, look into getting one of these passes and enjoy the sites, the people and the comfort of the Country Link trains.
the trains at the platform
looking into one of the windows
nice and clean
pretty wide area to walk
Australia Map