Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum

2 East 91st Street New York, New York, NY, USA

Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum New York Reviews

kevinhongkong kevinhon…
Beautiful Gem in Musuem Mile in NYC: Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum Jul 06, 2011
I had a brief paragraph in my NYC blog about this small but beautiful museum, but I wanted to highlight as a separate review as few tourists probably have heard about it due to its scale. I highly recommend visiting this place if you love any aspect of design and appreciate the creative and aesthetics. Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of the inside or of the exhibits, as that is forbidden. :( In fact, I cannot even track down any photos I took of the grounds of the museum. :( So, I will have a dreaded no-photo review. :P

This museum is located between 90th and 91st Streets on 5th Ave on the Upper East Side (just north of the Guggenheim) – so it is very accessible from places like the Met and Central Park. The museum is in an old mansion and is quite nice to take in besides the exhibits.

I believe that they usually have two current exhibits that rotate. The exhibits have anything to do with design – the current ones were jewelry and textiles. The textiles were quite nice and also included various aspects of that medium (including sketches, etc). Also, the museum does a great job situating the work within a personal, social, and historical context. Very thoughtful and does not dumb things down for you. :)

The jewelry exhibit was great. I really don’t like jewelry much, but the pieces were wonderful works of art and design – and the selection and presentation of the pieces were very thoughtful. I was also amazed by their use of holograms for a few pieces.

You can also take a quick rest in the nice garden sitting area. I cannot recommend the F&B as this is a small place and the selection is scarce and the prices high.

Overall, the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum is a small gem amongst the proximal monsters of the museum mile. This is a thoughtful, well-presented museum that treats you like you have a brain in your head. :)

Check New York Hotel Deals