Contiki Holidays

Check London Hotel Deals

Contiki Holidays London Reviews

hightide hightide
Excellent Value for Money and Organised Mar 17, 2014
During my 3 week leave, I wanted to visit at least 7 cities in 6 European countries. After doing some research, the preparations and logistics seemed too overwhelming for someone who has never been to Europe.

I ended up booking a 19 day/18 night Contiki tour (European Inspiration) at a cost of $2,020 departing from Royal National Hotel in London that went to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Munich, Venice, Rome, Florence, Lucerne and Paris + stops at Dachau concentration camp, Salzburg, Pisa, Dresden, Umbria and Neuschwanstein Castle (far more than I bargained for!). Mode of transport: bus. Accommodation: 3 star hotels.

So glad to have Ebony as our tour guide. On our way to each new city, she would hand out the city map, highlight the main attractions and brief us how to get to them from our hotel. I have always imagined the rooms of 3 star hotels in Europe to be tiny; however, I was pleasantly surprised that most of the hotels we stayed at were actually pretty roomy. A minor negative is wifi was usually spotty in most of the hotel rooms. The tour day typically starts at 8-9am and ends some time between 8pm and midnight. Half the meals and some activities were included. I felt that the tour was of excellent value as I didn't have to worry about planning, finding affordable accommodation and getting to out of the way sites. I felt that we got a good balance between guided tours and free time. If you don't feel like participating in a certain activity, you are free to skip it. Most people are into drinking but there was no pressure to join.

A full booking on their Europe tour is 51 passengers. My tour had 41 passengers (most winter departures aren't fully booked while summer departures are more likely to be fully booked).

Contiki Tours are exclusively for 18-35 year olds, and they cater to the likes of their target market very well.

Tip: As is common practice with tour companies, they are notorious for charging different prices for the same tour depending on your geographical region. I always call several branch offices located in different countries (I rang USA, UK and Singapore) to compare prices. For the European Inspiration tour, I found that the Singapore branch offered the lowest price at US$2,020 so I booked through them. In contrast, the USA branch charged US$2,809 (I checked by using ninjacloak proxy and confirmed by ringing Contiki USA) for the same tour with an extra night in London before the tour commences. It doesn't make sense to pay nearly US$800 more for an extra night at a 3 star hotel in London (Royal National Hotel).
European Inspiration 19D/18N: The …
European Inspiration: The price qu…
hightide says:
Thanks for the smile and comment Sylvia :) Currently, the lowest price for European Inspiration departing March 2017 is even lower now than it was in March 2014-- just US$1,733! I suppose it's due to the weak Euro.
Posted on: Feb 12, 2017
starship1 says:
Great information about your tour and the company you used -- especially the big savings you got by booking through the Singapore branch.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2017