Connor Café

www.cafeconor.com - +44 (0) 28 9066 3266

Connor Café Belfast Reviews

DAO DAO
Art Meets Food and it Works Feb 09, 2017
Before I booked the Connor Café, I had no idea that it’s the former studio of an artist (William Connor 1881- 1968) and that it still displays his art inside the bright and cheerful restaurant. I am always wary of any place advertising that their food is artistic (read – any French Restaurant). When I eat at a restaurant – I wish to do just that – eat. And I can tell the food was delicious, served in good portions, and was present just fine. I showed up on a dark night and was greeted by the bright interior and very pleasant servers. It’s a large open interior and it had a nice buzz to it. My cold Perini beer arrived swiftly so I could contemplate the menu. It’s not a huge menu, but it all sounded very good. I started with the Tapas Board as a starter. It arrived with freshly baked Irish bread, chilli and lime humus, an assortment of meats and some beautiful olives. That went down very well with my cold Peroni. Up next – the 8oz Sirloin Steak – rare – and a nice glass of Shiraz. This was served with a peppercorn sauce made with Irish Bushmills Whiskey. Gorgeous. A lovely meal and experience.

Now a little about your surroundings.

The building served as the studio for Mr Connor between 1944 – 1959. Before World War I he began his career as a commercial artist and many of his works almost look like advertisements. When the war came ha we actually commissioned by the British Army as a war artist. He first became well known for his realistic sketches of soldiers and workers in a munitions plant. After the World War I he made his name as the artist who depicted the lives of working class people in Northern Ireland.

Check Belfast Hotel Deals