Congress Plaza Hotel

Check Chicago Hotel Deals

Congress Plaza Hotel Chicago Reviews

Ashley5 Ashley5
Nice Hotel, Great Location Nov 12, 2011
The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is located on Michigan Ave across from Grant Park, within walking distance of everything we came to Chicago to see. The lobby of the Congress Plaza hotel is very pretty, with marble floors and large chandeliers. The hotel check-in time was at 3pm, the hotel let us check in early at noon, for no charge.

We chose the standard double room. Our room was on the 6th floor. Room was surprisingly large with very high ceilings. The room was very clean, however you can tell this hotel is very old and could really use some updating. The wallpaper in the room is very dated and not very pretty, same pattern on the wallpaper is on the curtains. Our bathroom was tiny but clean, plenty of fresh towels, soaps and shampoos also. The hand soaps they offer in your room smell amazing. Our door to the bathroom was needing an update, it was not easy to open or close it. Even though we just got a standard double room, we still got a nice view of Michigan Ave, and of Lake Michigan.

The beds were very comfortable so were the pillows. The blankets on the bed were also very comfortable.

One night we ordered a pizza from a local pizza place had it delivered to the room, but had to meet the pizza guy in the lobby, he wasn't allowed to deliver it to our room door. This was not a problem, we have just never had it happen before.

This hotel offers airport transportation, room service, a gift shop in the lobby and a game arcade. Check-out was very fast and simple.

If you are just visiting Chicago for a few days to see the sights, and just need a place to sleep, this would be the hotel for you.

We will definitely be choosing to stay at the Congress Plaza Hotel again on a return trip to Chicago.
seangee seangee
A Weekend at The Congress Plaza Feb 15, 2010
This hotel is what it is, and thats a place with great location and an older decor. Two friends and myself were here for Lollapalooza and it was a fantastic time.The front desk was great help, they got us checked in as soon as possible, we had arrived by bus at 6;30am and were checked in by 10;30am so that is really accomodating when the posted check in was 3pm. The rooms had high ceilings and a nice tv so it had that in its favor. The elevator system could be overwhelmed easily so keep that in mind if your on a higher floor, we had to walk up ten flights after a loong day of rockin. Overall I would say this is your place if you just need a jump off spot and dont need the frills of a better hotel. This will get the job done.
lollapalooza in Chi Town
long days
Chi Town
hannajax hannajax
Sep 03, 2006
You get what you pay for, unless you work for an airline or the hospitality industry.

For $118 per night ( in downtown Chicago on Grant Park, there was no pretension. The hotel was listed as a two star, and it barely made the grade.

To me, when traveling to a big city, location is the key to ease of exploration. Congress Plaza does have the perfect location, within walking distance of all major attractions, including the Field Museum, Aquarium, Millenium Park, and the Art Institute.

Built in the late 19th century for the columbian world exibition, the lobby and meeting rooms are gorgeous, a mixture of 1920s elegance, the European baroque, and Byzantine mosaic. You get impressed by the marble and chandeliers that greet you when you walk inside, but don’t let that be your basis of comparison for the rest.

Two elevators were available for taking guests up to the north tower, neither of them worked. I hoofed it to the 3rd floor, where the staircase strangely did not continue on. A friendly maintenance worker escorted me, along with other guests, to the freight elevator. Wow! Looks really different in that part of the hotel, makes you wish you had never stepped inside.

The standard rooms are nothing to write about. High ceilings, plain and peeling wall paper, and cheap blankets. When I entered it felt 60 degrees. Checked the thermostat, and there was no cool or warm temperature indicator. There was a high and low fan setting, which delivered either an icy blast of cool, or a milder fan of cold. A call to the main desk , and within minutes the maintenance man was here. His tidings were that the entire hotel is set to summer, until winter hits. This meant that I wouldn’t be able to warm up the room unless he could get one of the other guys to deliver a space heater.

The hotel is old, plumbing and pipes likely just as ancient. The morning’s shower had water rising above my ankles, and no water pressure. However, an engineer was up to the room within minutes to fix it and plunge it.

On the third day the on-demand movies listed on the menu were not the ones playing, and I of course ordered the wrong movie. Though I was credited for the mistake, it took an hour and a half and two phone calls for someone to come and take a look. The problem was not fixed, but we had some movie channels nonetheless.

In short, this is not a destination for those seeking spa, heated indoor pool, or luxury accommodations. In fact, though I don’t need to spend a lot of money on accommodations when traveling, I will definitely decide against returning here.

If traveling to Chicago in the future, I think I will opt for a hotel with down comforters and pillows, climate control, good plumbing, and friendly desk managers and associates.

Though the hotel was visually stunning upon entering, I had a major issue with not being looked in the eye or acknowledged when I arrived at the front desk. Two associates and a manager were trying to figure out why my check-in was coming up the day after, and then that I was a no-show. When I asked what was going on, I was ignored. An obnoxious hello and waving of the hand from me alerted them that I was still there. Then they mentioned the other person on the registration had checked in, they handed me the room key, and that was it. It really really bothers me when people that work in the customer service industry can’t manage a smile, make eye contact, or verify that my needs are being met. Yikes.

Once again, you get what you pay for, and I would rather pay more in the future.

Congress Plaza Hotel Overview

A peaceful and unique location allows guests of the Congress Plaza Chicago to access any area of the city from this convenient launching point. This hotel in Chicago is on Michigan Avenue, overlooks Lake Michigan’s shores, and is directly adjacent to Grant Park. Business travelers are within a few steps to the important working districts of the city, while the Magnificent Mile, Oak Street Beach, and the Navy Pier are an easy stroll for those in town on pleasure. Dining, shopping, entertainment, and nightlife abound in this area. The Congress Plaza Hotel Chicago is within 25 minutes' drive of the airport and offers valet parking for a fee. Private and public transport abound in this area.

Each guestroom at the Hotel Congress Plaza Chicago offers complimentary wireless Internet access, room service, satellite television, MP3 stereo compatibility, and luxury fixtures and bedding.

There are 23 separate function and conference spaces at the Congress Plaza Chicago Il, as well as a fitness center, two distinct restaurants, a bar and lounge area, a gift shop, game room, and a hair salon.

Congress Plaza Hotel Amenities

• Salon
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower