Communist Statue Park

Budapest, Hungary

Communist Statue Park Budapest Reviews

billyboy1978 billyboy…
Awful experience! Jun 07, 2011
Went to the statue park a couple of years back...never again...enough said 9 but I have to write a review..). Took a taxi to the park from Pest side of Budapest which cost me £30 UK pounds and I thought we was going to spend half the day there....We were the only ones there (I will upload some pictures soon) and the ground was awful! I told the driver to come collect me back in 4-5 hours, he laughed and said he'd be outside waiting for me...we were there for less than 10 minutes! They should have paid me to visit that place!!!
Martijn_Straub Martijn_…
Not really worth a detour Nov 11, 2007
The statue park is not easy to reach and can easily be missed when going there by car. A few kilometres out of the city is a bit of an understatement, it's more like a few kilometres out of the city bounderies. Drive slowly and keep your eyes open when you are near.

When entering the park, don't forget to buy a map so that you will actually know what you are looking at. Without it, you will not know in which historical events to place the statues.

The park itself consists of six circles around which the statues are located. Most of the statues are quite big and with their communistic, cubism style they can be very impressive.

Walking around slowly will take less than an hour and then you've seen it all. On the way out you can buy some cheap communistic souvenirs like T-shirts with Lenin and mugs with Stalin and things like that. The woman behind the counter seemed very depressed, which makes sense because in winter it's cold and there's hardly anybody around.

While you're there, you might as well pay a visit to the museum nearby.

It's a dark, wooden barack with pictures on the wall which tells you something about Budapest in wartime and you will see some of the statues that you just visited.

Tip: go there when it's snowing, this creates a beautifull picture! however, when it's wet you should wear boots in case you care for dry feet.
CFD CFD
Jul 30, 2007
The Communist Statue Park is located a few kilometers outside of the city and you can get there with public transportation or if you are in a hurry or just are lazy there are busses going from Deak Tèr, but they cost you much more.

The park Consists of many of the old communist statues that where placed in budapest during the soviet occupation. The advertisement for this park seems really cool,but really the park is just some statues of several historic people.

The museum was closed when i was there (july07) so it might have been better if the museum was open, but after my visit i felt like "i came all the way just for this?"

There is a little text in english, so most people should be fine.
beledigrl beledigrl
Jun 28, 2007
It's a little outside the city but the bus trip there and back is included in your ticket and you'll get in free with your Budapest card if you get one. The bus trip is actually pretty entertaining because you see the city and surrounding suburbs from a different perspective. And the park is great for taking pictures (I know it's bad to laugh about communism but the way they have the music playing, etc...I think it is supposed to be taken with a grain of salt). I found it interesting as it is a part of recent history that those of us in the United States didn't see the way people our age in Europe did.

Related Travel Blogs About Communist Statue Park

Power Touring
I spent the day making up for the fact I managed to do nothing the previous day.  I started out at Statue Park, which holds statues of the communist era that were removed from the streets of Bud…Park, which holds statues of the communist era that were removed from the streets of Budapest following all of the political…
The Faces of a Communist Past
  Struggled to get out of bed today but managed to get to Deak square to catch the bus to Momento Park. During communist times, there were many socialist statues on display in locations all ar…Park. During communist times, there were many socialist statues on display in locations all around the city which celebrated the socialist leaders and the workers ideal. Rather than destroy these…

Check Budapest Hotel Deals